|

Can You Guess Where We Were?

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby vacastle » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:27 pm

Shirin and I took cameras out this weekend in search of lighthouses. Can you guess where we were when these two photos were taken?

HINT #1

HINT #2

I suspect we both will be posting more later. :wink:

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby beachbum1616 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:38 pm

I know.....but I won't tell!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Zachary » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:43 pm

Is it in California?
Zachary
Head Keeper

Postby thundermooch » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:44 pm

I think it maybe in Virginia. Looks like the old Cape Henry in the window.
thundermooch
Head Keeper

Postby vacastle » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:49 pm

Stephen most definitely knew the answer, and thundermooch, you are exactly correct. Yeah! :yay: We were at Fort Story, Virginia taking photos of both Old and New Cape Henry. And yes, that's Old Cape Henry reflected in the car window.

This is where we were shooting from in the first photo...
I love the Tidewater area of Virginia!

Judy :D
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby shirin » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:30 pm

Fun photos Judy! I know you have more goodies for the group. Until you get them posted, here are a few of mine from our trip to see the Cape Henry and Old Point Comfort Lights.

First up was the Old Point Comfort Light after almost a 2 hour drive from the Richmond area.

Then it was on to the Cape Henry lights.

A lesson was learned when taking this photo. For those out there who like to photograph flowers in front of lighthouses, be sure not to go TOO low when standing in the middle of a bunch of roses. Be assured that you will get thorns in places other than your sides! 8O
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby vacastle » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:06 am

Here goes a few more...

This one might be contraband. Sunday, for the first time on any visit there, we were stopped by security in front of Old Point Comfort. It seems we were permitted to take photos of the lighthouse...BUT NO BUILDINGS! (Have to say, he was nice and polite about it)

Shirin in Lighthouse Paradise...she found wild roses, thorns and all for one of her signature lighthouse shots she posted above.

Here's one of mine from the sand dunes...

And a reflection of New Cape Henry

But's what's better than that? A photo of Shirin preparing to take a reflection shot of New Cape Henry!

And one more in tribute to our troops, the wall of yellow ribbons at Old Cape Henry

This was a fun day, and a great weekend, because it was spent with a lighthousing friend. Thanks Shirin!

Judy :D
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:18 am

Judy,

Thanks for the travelogue ...

Faulty memory that I have, is Old Point Comfort where the Jefferson Davis Wharf (or pier?) is?

Also, can't say that I took any, but maybe you or Shirin took shots of those magnificent homes along Officer's Row on the way to the waterfront?

Barry
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby vacastle » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:33 am

Barry, I don't know about the pier(maybe someone else here does), but Ft. Monroe, home of Old Point Comfort is loaded with history of Jefferson. Fort Monroe is at Phoebus just before you go into the Hampton Roads Tunnel heading south.

Last Sunday, there was to be no photographing of ANY building. Security stopped us once in front of the lighthouse, and kept an eye on us as long as we had cameras visible.

This is the first time in all my visits to Fort Monroe that I've seen security this tight.

Judy
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby beachbum1616 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:42 pm

Man, that is tight for Ft. Monroe. We have walked all over that place before with just the "check in" at the gate as the only security. I hope this doesn't lead to the closing of the Ft.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports