|

On the Way Home

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby shirin » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:49 pm

Since a Monday night Erasure concert in Washington D.C. prompted me to head south for a 4 day weekend (spent half of Saturday and all of Sunday with Judy!), I had some spare time Tuesday on my way home to hit some lighthouses.

After leaving my younger sister's place in Baltimore bright and early Concord Point was my first stop of the day.

Just a bit up the road I pulled off I-95 again for a lighthouse stop. This time it was for Turkey Point. It was a bit hot and humid for that lovely hike out to the light but I wasn't at work so I wasn't about to complain! I'll have to post the photo later, it's not uploaded yet. Oops!

The third light of the day was Finn's Point in NJ. Not really a great shot to be had of that light thanks to power lines and a bad angle to the sun so I'm not going to bore you with that photo at this time.

Next up was East Point Light out in the middle of absolutely nowhere New Jersey! The visit was made complete compliments of the big old flying blood sucking vampire mosquitos. Nasty buggers and what a mess they make when ya smush 'em! Gross! 8O Oh yeah, you're waiting for a photo now aren't ya?

From there, as my day was getting shorter by the minute, I needed to make an executive decision. Absecon or Barnegat. Guess which one won out? Not being one of a gambling nature, I decided on Old Barney on Long Beach Island. Not all that tough of a decision for me as Barnegat is my favorite NJ light.

And so, with 5 lights in 2 states under my belt, I thought I was done for the day and went up the Garden State Parkway towards home. As I was crossing the Tappan Zee Bridge and looking across the Hudson River towards my favorite lighthouse of all lighthouses, I couldn't help but notice that the light just looked odd for some reason. About halfway across the bridge it hit me, the light was actually ON! In all of my numerous travels to my absolute favorite light, I've only seen the light on on 3 occasions. So, it was a "I gotta go" moment and off I went. Thankfully traffic wasn't too bad in Tarrytown and I was able to get to the lighthouse by 8:30 and this was what was waiting for me. In my opinion, a perfect end to a long day of lighthousing. And yes, in case anyone wants to know, the lights off in the distance in this last photo are from the George Washington Bridge and New York City.

shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Larry » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:20 pm

I love the Tarrytown shot. It should be a winner in some sort of contest.

And thanks for the memories of the East Point bloodsuckers. Now I'm gonna have nightmares!
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby beachbum1616 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:41 pm

You had a very productive trip home.

That one of Tarrytown is a nice one!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Jen » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:20 pm

Pretty shots, Shirin. Love those roses in the first image! My aunt and new uncle just moved to NJ - I hope to get out there next spring and start shooting those East Coast lights...perhaps for the LI challenge...
Jen
Assistant Inspector

Postby Maria » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:33 pm

Nice pictures, Shirin. It looks like you got some awesome lighthousing weather. No wonder you got bit at East Point...from that angle, I think you must have been standing in the marsh.

8)

Maria
Maria
Head Keeper

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:51 pm

Beautiful, Shirin!!! Lucky you!! :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:02 pm

Sometimes it's the accidental shots that are the best of the trip. I'm really glad you got to see your favorite all lit up, and quite a nice sight it is indeed !!!!!

Thanks Shirin, glad you had a good time.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby shirin » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:30 am

Thanks All! I'm just so happy to finally get some nice lighthousing weather! The last few trips have been crummy so even though it was a hot and humid weekend, the sun was very welcomed! Now hopefully Maine this weekend will be nice.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:49 am

Shirin,

While all good, that last one's a keeper.

I will bet you saw the result in your mind ... in your head ... in your imagination ... before ever tapping the shutter. And, to have the result match your expectation, for me, anyway, it is a joy approaching elation.

Thanks for sharing it.

Barry
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby shirin » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:35 am

Barry - I envisioned that photo before I had even finished crossing the Tappan Zee bridge and was absolutely thrilled last night when I finally got to see the results. While the last thing I wanted to do was stop at 8:30pm with another hour to drive home after being on the road for the past 12 hours, I have never been so glad I did make that extra stop.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby vacastle » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:20 am

Lighthouse people (lighthousers) bring a whole new meaning to this phrase, don't they? :lol:
So, it was a "I gotta go" moment and off I went.

I am so happy you got to Tarrytown and got that treasure of a shot! Absolutely wonderful, and prize quality.

The others are pretty wonderful too. You do know how to use your hours on the road wisely! Wow! 8O Mosquito bites and thorns in other places but your side all in one weekend!

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby shirin » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:30 am

Oh the places we go to and the things we do for our lighthouse photos. Wouldn't have it any other way though.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby beachbum1616 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:44 pm

I am convinced that the lighthousing adventure is half the fun of lighthousing.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby shirin » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:45 pm

You are absolutely right Stephen! Without the adventure, the photos loose part of their special meaning to us, some more than others. The places we go, the people we go with, the weather we put up with, the thorns we sit on, the blood suckers we contend with and more all add up to the joy of lighthousing. I wouldn't give any of it away, the good or the bad.

I still owe you all a photo of Turkey Point. Thought this one was fun as it is how I very often see the lights, hiding in some sort of foliage if at all possible.

And I'm going to throw them in here even though they aren't lighthouses but because I don't want to start a new post at this time.

A flower at Concord Point

And Evening on the Hudson River
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby beachbum1616 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:49 pm

:yay:
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Next

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports