|

301 and Counting!

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby shirin » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:11 pm

Well folks, I finally hit the 300 lighthouses seen mark and have kept going thanks to the Flying Santa cruise this weekend and a couple post cruise lights visited the following day.

I started out at Pemaquid early Saturday morning before heading to Bath for the cruise.

On the cruise we saw...

Doubling Point

Kennebec Range Lights

Squirrel Point

Perkins Island - here the more adventuresome folks in the group were able to get off the boat and hike over to the light through the hoards of mosquitos (the Maine State bird as I've been told), ticks and poison ivy to get a tour of the light.

Burnt Island which was another stop and tour of the light.

Pond Island - if you can really call this seeing the light thanks to the dense fog that liked to follow us around during the day

Hendrick's Head - here we had maybe a minute to get photos of this light as the fog rolled in on us

More photos to come in another post as I don't want to cause extreme, extreme delays in the page loading for those who like me are still on dial up!
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby thundermooch » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:34 pm

Congratulations. 300 :yay: Can't wait to get up that high. All the different sights, people, etc. I can just imagine the experience in 300. How long did it take you to see that many?
thundermooch
Head Keeper

Postby shirin » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:39 pm

I've been visiting lights since February 26, 2000 according to my lighthouse journal. Just going back through the list brings back tons of fun times at many places and with great friends!
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby thundermooch » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:41 pm

I know what you mean. I started a lighthouse journal too. Everynight when we go to our room, I write everything down. The people we have met, the beautiful world we live in is just something. Thank you for sharing your sights with us.
thundermooch
Head Keeper

Postby shirin » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:00 pm

Although I didn't truely realize I had hit 300 until I went to fill in the lights I saw over this weekend tonight, the idea must have been in the back of my mind. I started to write an article Friday evening while I was driving up to Maine about some of the experiences with the people I've been lighthousing with over the past 5 years.

And yes, I write when I drive. With the countless hours on the road, I have my best thinking moments when I'm on the road and can be alone with my thoughts. Unfortunately, this one hit as I was in a torrential monsoon like thunderstorm after dark in Portland. Driving through that is a pain enough in itself but I needed to get my ideas down before they were completely lost.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Larry » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:12 pm

Congratulations on #300, Shirin. :yay:

I've been doing it since June, 2000 and am only a few over 100. Lots of catching up to do!
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby Hersh » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:03 pm

That's an impressive total Shirin, congrats!!
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby shirin » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:45 am

You'll get there Larry. I've been slowing down on my pace to see new lights as the new ones for me are getting further and further away from CT. Still a few nearby that I have yet to see but those are the ones that seem to be a pain to get to. But it will happen eventually.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Larry » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:57 am

I know what you mean Shirin. I have a few close ones that I haven't done because "I can do them anytime". But haven't. Then there's Poole's Island. Right there within the waters of my home county. Just hard to get too.
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:36 am

Shirin,

Congrtaulations on 300+ ...

Writing while driving is an art form ... deciphering it later that day is a whole other matter ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby shirin » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:36 am

I know what you mean about those close one's Larry. I've seen Poole's Island but have I seen the one in Stamford Harbor when Stamford is less than 10 minutes from where I am in Norwalk, NOooooooooo that would be too easy! And who knows when I'll get to Great Captain's Island in Greenwich...another one less than 20 minutes to get to the town.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby AL » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:39 am

Here in Jersey we can't even talk on a cell phone while we drive :lol:
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports