|

Completed Rhode Island Lights

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby shirin » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:54 pm

This weekend after attending the ALF Rhode Island lighthouse cruise and the dinner and brunch meetings in nearby Westport, MA, I decided it was time to finally finish seeing all of the lighthouses in Rhode Island. I only had 3 more to go having seen all the others on previous trips to the state and, I had plenty of time to stop by each one and still make it home at a decent hour Sunday night.

So...after the brunch was over, it was south to Sakonnet Point to get a distant view of the light.

Then it was back up north to East Providence to get another distance shot of the Pomham Rocks lighthouse. This view is from the bike path that follows route 103. It's just a short walk along the path to get this view if you park at the right stop.

And finally, to complete the journey and cross the last light of Rhode Island off my list, I stopped by Judith Point. With all of the lights I've seen in the past 5 years, RI has become the first state in which I've seen all of the lights still standing.

shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby wheland » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:47 pm

Shirin,

I'm surprised that you hadn't seen all of RI up until now.

I haven't either and I've been to the state several times on lighthouse trips.

Now you have to tell us all which is the right stop to make that short walk to get that view of Ponham Rocks.

Pt judith is one of the first RI lighthouses I saw as it's just down the road from the main campus of University Of RI which my daughter Beth attended (and actually manged to graduate in less than 5 years)

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:28 pm

304?
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby shirin » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:51 am

Dennis, the place to park is on route 103 in the Riverside section of East Providence. There was a hair salon in an old train depot building next to /or very close to an ice cream shop. Just past the ice cream shop is a parking spot for the trail. So, you walk about a quarter mile over to the light, walk back and reward yourself with ice cream. Not a bad lighthouse stop! If you are coming from the East and heading West like I was, then the parking spot is just before a bridge.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby vacastle » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:43 am

With all of the lights I've seen in the past 5 years, RI has become the first state in which I've seen all of the lights still standing.

I'm trying to think what NC light you haven't seen yet. :-k

Because of your journeys and sharing your adventures through your photography, I've seen a lot through your eyes that I haven't yet traveled to. You know, I bet your lh journal could be a best seller.

Thanks for sharing your lh trips with us.

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby shirin » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:02 am

Oh now I'm really starting to have some blonde moments! 8O Thought I grew out of that went my hair turned brown in middle school I can't believe I did that. 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O I HAVE seen all the NC lights thanks to the Spring Retreat. What have I been drinking? Thanks for keeping me in line Judy.

At least I remember that I only need one more in Delaware!
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby vacastle » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:13 am

Now, careful with those blonde moments! :wink:

Yeah, I was going through the NC lights and remembering your visits. You've even been to the two NC lh replicas.

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby shirin » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:20 am

Sorry Judy. Perhaps I'm just having Pagels moments then.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Ross » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:49 am

There's no cure for Pagels Moments.
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby wheland » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:22 am

Shirin,

Thanks for the specifics. I'm going to print it out and file it for my next RI trip. I'm hoping I have to go back sometime this summer- I bought some lottery tickets and if you win you have to go to RI to collect.

So far I've won $6- not quite enough to make a special trip to collect. :D

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby shirin » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:04 am

Gee, thanks Ross. Always the nice one aren't ya?

And no problem Dennis. Hope you have a great reason to go to RI soon.
:D
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby beachbum1616 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:31 am

Shirin,

Nice job on the photos!

A few questions though,

-How far off shore is the Sakonnet Point lighthouse?

The Pomham Rocks lighthouse looks a lot like Rose Island.

-Were they built with similar plans?

-Is Judith Point up on a cliff or is it closer to the shore?
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Zachary » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:53 am

About Pomham Rocks:
That kind of LH is very common in that area, I believe that they were designed by the same person. Some other examples that I can think of right now are Colchester Reef, VT; North Brother Island, NY; and Esopus Meadows, NY
There are others but I can't recall them right now
Zachary
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:20 pm

Stephen,

2 out of 3 ...

Point Judith is onshore ... last time through for me, pre 9/11, you were allowed total access to the Coast Guard property. From Shirin's picture, I'm guessing you still are ...

Sakonnet Point isn't too far off shore ... from memory, there was beach access to a vewing area .. I'm guessing it is no more than a quarter to a half mile off the beach ... the only problem with this light is you really have to want to go to it ... it is most isolated ... a good 40-45 minute drive down a two lane hiway to get there ... a very pretty, if tedious, drive ... that would also make it 40-45 minutes back to the main road ...
Last edited by Grover1 on Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby shirin » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:32 am

Well, looks like the questions you had Stephen have been answered. I don't really have much more to add to their answers though.

Yes, at Point Judith there were visitors roaming the grounds when I got there so past the CG gate I went. The gate was left wide open and not a CG in site so I guess the grounds are still open.

And I agree, unless you are trying to finish out seeing all the lights in the state like I was, then Sakonnet is a bit of a drive. I passed the time with a long phone call to my father since it was Father's Day.

And Zachary covered the similar lights.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Next

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports