|

St. Mary's River cruise 2005 (with photos)

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:14 am

It's been a busy travel week for me, and I know I've been remiss on giving a report on the DeTour Reef Light Preservation Society's 2005 Father's Day cruise up the St. Mary's river, so here goes!!

As expected, I had a great time on the cruise, as well as the rest of the time I spent in the eastern UP area. On Saturday night I decided to run up to the Soo locks and try to get in some boatwatching. When I checked in with security I asked how long it had been since a boat had been by, and the guard said it had been like 5 hours. I was a bit concerned, but to my great pleasure, from the time I walked in there was almost no break between the freighters locking through for 3 hours, 6 ships total. I'll post a list of them (with photos of course) today or tomorrow to show some of the variety of ships that came through. This was the busiest time I've ever seen at the locks, and it was great!!!!!

Here's a shot looking upbound.

(and then there was the great fajita quesadillas and fried apple chimichanga ice cream afterwards, oh my was that tasty)

The next morning I got up and drove to the DeTour Village dock to catch my boat. On the way I was looking for the St. Martin's Reef light, and lo and behold I saw it from a couple different spots in the road. I was able to get some super telephoto (1200mm on the digital) shots of the light, along with a passing freighter, the American Spirit. I thought this was a great omen for how the rest of the day would go.

And go well it did. On the trip itself we saw 10 freighters, a bald eagle in flight, an osprey in it's nest on a navigational light no more than 50 feet from the boat, the Soo Locks from inside and out, the Algoma steel plant, tons of range lights, and the DeTour and Round Island St. Mary's lighthouses. (Not to mention the lighthouse at the miniature golf course up the river from the locks.) All in all an outstanding trip that I might just take again next year.

These show the DeTour Reef light and the newly resotred Round Island (St. Mary's) lighthouses.

After the cruise I high tailed it to Whitefish Point lighthouse in the hopes of shooting a sunset. I was making great time until the van in front of me pulled off the road to look at the freakin moose that was standing in the ditch on the side of the road!! So I went ahead and stopped so I could fulfill one of my highest photographic dreams, and I blasted off 15-20 shots of this beast standing there eating grass. (The moose was eating, not me) It was amazing, he just looked at us, snorted, and went about his business like we weren't even there. I was elated at the opportunity to shoot one so close.

So then I went to Whitefish and shot some photos, but that is a tough place to shoot such a flacid sunset. I did get some special shots of a freighter on the horizon sailing into and out of the setting sun, so that was cool.

This is the light from that sunset warming this piece of driftwood on the beach.

Then on Monday I cruised over to Sleeping Bear Dunes and tried to shoot a sunset at Pyramid point, but alas, the clouds rolled in and there was no sunset to be had. :( I did get some distance shots of the North Manitou crib light, but those weren't spectacular.

That's a sample of what I got, I'll be making some more posts this week showing some of the other stuff I shot. Hope you all will find at least one that tickles your fancy.
Last edited by Hersh on Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Jen » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:03 pm

Cool! I'm anxious to see your images - I've been wanting to do the St. Mary's River cruise for six years and it just hasn't happened. Have you done either Eastern or Western Straits cruise yet?
Jen
Assistant Inspector

Postby Hersh » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:50 pm

I highly recommend the DeTour cruise Jen, much cheaper than the GLLKA one, but only a one way trip.

As for the straits, I did the west cruise last year (there's a gallery on my site from that trip in the daytime section). Ironically, I almost took the east cruise on Monday after this cruise, but I elected to go and do some work on my property in Leelanau County instead. I'll make it one of these days I'm sure....
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports