|

Lighthouses of Scotland (Part 1)

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby Maria » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:19 pm

I returned from Scotland on Friday, and have been sorting through 900 + photos. Although the primary purpose of the trip was to take my mother to visit her home country, of course I reserved a couple of days for lighthousing. My brother also went along on the trip, and although he would never admit it, I think I got him hooked on lighthousing. He certainly has the symptoms: grumble about having to drive up some back road, but it then be the first person to jump out the car with his camera.

I have so many pictures, so I figured I should go in chronological order.
We stayed in Edinburgh before heading up to Aberdeen, Peterhead, Rattray Head and the ultimate destination, the Scottish Lighthouse Museum in Fraserborough. There were not so many lights accessible around Edinburgh, but I managed to see a few pier lights and a couple from afar. I also walked down to 84 George Street, the headquarters of the Northern Lighthouse Board responsible for all aids to navigation in Scotland.

While heading on the bus down to the Britainnia, we passed the Newhaven East Pier Light. These were taken out the bus window (double-decker, of course).

From the Britainnia, I got this shot of the Leith West Pier Light.

From the Britainnia, I could also get a distant view of the lighthouse on the island of Inchkeith, in the Firth of Forth (in English, the River Forth.)

On the way back from Bo'ness, my mother's home town, we stopped in Queensferry, for several reasons: it is the home of the Forth Rail Bridge and the Haws Inn, where Robert Louis Stevenson, after leaving the family business of engineering, wrote Kidnapped.
The Beamer Rock Lighthouse sits in the middle of the Forth.

I was not sure if this was a lighthouse or some other type of aid to navigation or not, but of course I aimed the camera at it anyway. It's under the Forth Rail Bridge at the end of a boat ramp. Any ideas?

This was my first indication I was on the right block for the Northern Lighthouse Board.

Door to the Northern Lighthouse Board.

The amazing thing about being so far north around the summer solstice is that it stays light until about 10:30 pm. I walked down to George Street around 9:00 pm.

Up next, Aberdeen lighthouses.

8)

Maria
Last edited by Maria on Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maria
Head Keeper

Postby vacastle » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:34 pm

Wow, Maria!

These are great, and I'm anxious to see more. More!
I have always wanted to go to Scotland. I think half my family has been at one time or the other (family name is a Scottish one :wink: )

I'm convinced there are two main reasons to go to Scotland ->
the lighthouses and the golf courses! Family members went to see the castles...they think I'm the oddball of the family.

I wouldn't mind seeing ALL 900 of those shots! THANK YOU!

Judy :D
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby Larry » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:56 pm

Very nice, Maria. It's always great to see lights we've never seen before, even though I bought a Scottish lighthouses book about a year ago, and never cracked the spine. Maybe I will now.

Was your mom happy to be home?
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:58 am

Maria, what an amazing trip that must have been!! Thanks for the photos, and I definitely look forward to seeing more! This is probably the closest I will ever get to Scotland!!! :lol:
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports