|

Even More from the Midatlantic Marathon!

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby beachbum1616 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:55 pm

I remembered it because the day of our visit, there was a class on a trip and they loaded on a boat from that pier/dock. Some of the kids were getting in my shots so you know I would remember that.

Shirin,

Was the lightship open? Looks like you were there late in the evening.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Larry » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:56 pm

shirin wrote:Cool, its like Lighthouse Jeopardy.

=)) =)) =))

We should start a game thread. Someone posts a photo of something near a lighthouse, and we have to guess where it is!
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby shirin » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:43 am

Well, I guess until they ever decide to rebuild that pier, those of us with photos from it will have to share. I'd post one of the ones I have but I just checked and it looks like I don't have one uploaded at the moment.

As for Jeopardy, we could also have a category with photos of pieces of lighthouses. For instance this photo would be from what light? In this case I don't suppose it would be too terribly difficult to guess seeing as how this came from the recent trip but its an idea.

shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby shirin » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:45 am

Oops, forgot to mention, no, I don't think the lightship was open that late Stephen. We got there on the later side after cramming in all the NJ and MD lights earlier in the day and we decided to hit the hotel and freshen up before meeting my best friend Shannon and her boyfriend Jeff for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory in Baltimore.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Larry » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:57 am

=P~ mmmmmm........Cheesecake Factory. I'll bet you're probably still eating the leftovers. I got the Jambalaya once and my take-home box lastest two more meals.

I'm guessing Cape May. Althought Barnegat and Absecon also have the cages, but I don't recall any marshes like that in the heart of Atlantic City. Could be Old Barny.
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby beachbum1616 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:23 am

Why did they put those cages on there?
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby AL » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:26 am

CAPE MAY
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Postby shirin » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:42 am

Yes, Larry, Cape May it is. The color of the cage is different that the yellowish of Absecon and White of Barnegat. The cage Stephen was put there so that people don't get blown off the top. Once you climb any of those 3 towers you'll see why! I haven't been to any of them where there wasn't a nice breeze to windy conditions. yes, the cages do detract from the historical look to the lights but, these are very touristy lights so to be able to walk outside can be an appealing factor to choose to spend time at those lights versus others. Many people are dissapointed at Sandy Hook when they can't go outside.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby beachbum1616 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:51 am

I thought that might be the case.

I was dissapointed when we couldn't go outsite at Assateague.

That reminds me, I haven't given my report about our last visit and first ever climb there. I will have to get to that tomorrow.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Larry » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:51 am

I was told at one of the lights that it was to stop people from jumping off, as someone once attempted to do. Either way, I do feel much more comfortable atop the tall towers in New Jersey than I do elsewhere.
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby shirin » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:10 am

Well, yes Larry that too - I just didn't want to give people ideas!
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Maria » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:40 am

I think it's more to stop people from pushing their travel companion off....after a couple hours in a car with Ross, it starts to look like a good idea.

8)

Maria
Maria
Head Keeper

Postby AL » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:43 am

A neat thing about a fall climb at Cape May LH is to see the many hawks that are migrating South. Cape May is one of the best places in the country to observe the hawk migration between Sept & Nov. I have been at the top and "eye to eye" with them. In fact the NJ Audubon Society has constructed a hawk watch platform only a few yards from the LH and on certain evenings leads a "Owl in the Light watch." This is cool as you sit on the ground and watch the owls pass through the light from the lens.

I wonder what part the cage plays in preventing or reducing strikes from the bigger birds.
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Postby Ross » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:09 am

I did notice some fake owls at the top of Cape May when we were up there. Unfortunately, I don't take to heights to well and didn't quite make the balcony. :)
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby AL » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:30 am

They are placed there in an attempt to keep the other birds away. Owls are their natural enemies.
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports