|

Oh yeah, the Apostles...

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:06 pm

I guess it's obvious Gary and I have been remiss in posting our photos of the Apostle Islands trip here recently. We've gotten a couple poster here and there, and Gary's slideshows were cool, but I guess it's time for another post.

So, I'll just run these in the order that we saw them.

This goofy thing wasn't really a lighthouse, but we stopped to see it anyway. I took exactly two shots and that was all I needed. Let's move on, shall we?

Now here's what we came for, the New Michigan Island light.

And then we were able to see both the Old & New lights, as they sit on the same plot of land. I wish we'd have been able to see more of them, but this was the best we could do. This is one spot I'd really like to visit some day and really photograph properly.

And next to Raspberry Island light. This is a really neat looking lighthouse, and the owners are in the process of restoring it. An interesting tidbit we learned from the Captain, this lighthouse is one of the few on the lakes that exhibits bilateral symetry in it's architectural design. (Each side is a mirror image of the other)

Sand Island was next on the itinerary, but unfortunately by this time the clouds had gotten pretty grey and crappy for the most part, but there were a few spots of blue sky showing through. Anyway, this lighthouse is nearly identical to Passage Island at Isle Royale, and is similar to White River, Squaw Island, and several other lights on the lakes. It really is a neat design, I'm glad it was so popular.

Now we skip ahead to Friday on the return trip, where the weather turned ugly on us. Rain, rain, rain.... it sucked. So when we pulled up to Devil's Island I was pretty depressed abotu having to shoot it under such conditions, but I ended up getting a few that I was able to clean up and salvage.

Once we got to Outer Island, the one I was really looking forward to seeing, the rain stopped for 5-10 minutes, allowing for some reasonably decent photos. Not great, but I'll take it. I love the Poe designed towers more than any other style, and this is a beautiful example. I just hope that they're able to save it from toppling into the lake.

Of course as those who were on the boat know, Friday ended up being a great day for me. Actually one of the best days of my life so far. While I was on the boat after leaving Outer Island I received a phone call from my wife telling me that our three years of trying finally paid off, she was pregnant!!! (We've since found out that we're going to be doubly blessed, it's twins!!!) So not like I needed more good news, but I bought six raffle tickets, and won with three of them, including a harbor lights replica Fresnel lens, which was the one I really had my eye on. So all in all, a great day considering that it started out with me dropping my Bush Hawk into Lake Superior. (I still haven't gottenit back, but I'm told it's en-route)

So that's the Apostle Islands... I enjoyed the trip immensely, despite the rain on Friday. Once again Suzanne and her WILD bunch were able to put together a top notch trip for all of us.

I'm not sure what I'll post next, maybe the St. Clair entering Superior Harbor on Wednesday afternoon. And I can't promise when it'll be since I'm in the process of moving and during that time I'll be without DSL for about two weeks. But I'll do what I can.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby epona » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:21 am

Mike - What wonderful news - your going to have twins. This will change your life for sure. I do hope your move will be easy. Please keep the board posted on how it goes.

Thank you for sharing the photos.

Again it was good to read about your blessings.

Carole
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Larry » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:11 am

WOW - TWINS! Congratulations!

Despite the crappy weather, nice shots indeed.
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:25 am

Congrats on the twins, Mike. My two sons differ in age by 18 months... there were times it was almost like having twins, I guess... We're all waiting for regular updates :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Ross » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:43 am

congrats mike and mrs. mike :)
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby Jen » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:40 am

Mike, CONGRATS!!!! I'll drop you a line.
Jen
Assistant Inspector

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:29 am

Well done, Mike!! On all counts!! Congratulations. :D

:yay: \:D/ :yay:

May everyone be healthy and happy!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby mikev » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:58 am

Many, many congratulations! Of course, that means you'll now have to have twice as many cameras. :D
Mike Vogel
Buffalo Lighthouse/ALCC

mikev
Keeper

Postby Arch_2 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:38 pm

Great news on the twins, Mike. Congratulations to you both. The photos are great. Thanks for sharing.
Arch_2
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby beachbum1616 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:57 pm

Congratulations to the both of you!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Terry_Pepper » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:47 pm

Congratulations Mike - sounds like you are going to have something in common with the Raspberry Island light station – offspring that will be bilaterally symmetrical :oops:

While I can't speak for lakes Erie and Ontario, I know for sure that Fourteen Mile Point is bilaterally symmetrical, as I believe are Forty Mile Point, Sand Hills and Big Bay. However I do not have plans of the latter, and thus am not 100%.

By the way, that “goofy thing” on Gull Island was almost a first class lighthouse with fog signal! It was touch and go whether the new station would be built on Gull or Michigan Island.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby Tybeeisland48 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:43 pm

Two "Little Tugs" eh Mike? (Freighter, Tugs......)

Ok, so I'll just go try to view the aurora....I have too much time on my hands! :roll:

Congratulations Mike!!
Tybeeisland48
Keeper

Postby Hersh » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:27 pm

My little tugs, I love that Pam!!!!!

Thanks to all of you for your kind wishes, we're really excited about this and all the support really helps.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Terry Forrest » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:52 pm

Wow, Mike -- TWINS! Congratulations and best wishes for a good pregnancy for your wife -- and you for that matter, as sometimes the husbands have sympathy pains. Dan did with me!

We also weren't sure until the 5th month that we weren't going to have twins, mainly because how Maria was situated. Plus there were twins on both my parents' sides and Dan's father's and his mother's side had twins, triplets and quadruplets. Add that Dan's a twin and that my mother had twins and that I was supposed to be the generation for twins and it's some kind of "miracle" that we didn't have twins!

It's too bad the weather was kind of gray and icky, but it looks like you still managed to get some decent photos under the circumstances. Did you take any film shots; I'm assuming these are digitals that you've shown.
Terry Forrest
Assistant Inspector

Postby TWolfe » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:52 pm

Hi Mike,

Your photos turned out great! Are any of those digital photos?

Congratulations on twins! When the announcement was made on the boat, I didn't realize that you just found out. After dropping your Bush Hawk, we were all happy that you were the one who won the Fresnel lens. We don't collect the Habour Lights Fresnel lens, but Randy won one in Door County. He turns it on now and then.

By the way, Randy and I are probably going back to the Apostle Islands next week. Because he doesn't have any vacation and because we have a trip next month, we're just going for the weekend. Therefore, we can only do two of the cruises. We're planning to go to Sand Island. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your photos from the trip.

Tammy
TWolfe
Keeper

Next

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports