|

Manistique East Breakwater Light Aug 22-05

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby TenofHearts12 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:34 pm

After beginning our day in Mishawka, Indiana, our last light of the day before spending the night in Manistique :)

Actually taken on Sept 23 on our way out of town.
Last edited by TenofHearts12 on Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Your never too old to do goofy stuff" (Ward Cleaver, Leave It To Beaver)
TenofHearts12
Keeper

Postby epona » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:13 am

Gerald, First of all thank you for posting. I always enjoy your postings.

I have some questions, that if you can could you take the time to answer.

1. What were the times you took the photos?
2. Did you see many other people around the lighthouse?
3. It looks like the lighthouse has a solar panel on it, right?

It looks like a good job was done in putting a walkway over the (breakwater) to the lighthouse. I like the last 2 photo's the best. I loved the angle you got the second to last one. The last one I liked because of all the color contrasts.

Again, thank you so very much for posting your photos.

Carole
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby TenofHearts12 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:16 am

Hi Carole :)

Thank you for your kind words. All but the last photo were taken between 6 and 6:30 PM on Sept. 22 and the last photo was taken at around 8:10 AM on Sept. 23. As we were walking out to this light, we met a family of 4 walking back and we saw no more people the rest of the time we were there probably due to the lateness of the day and the fact it was starting to cool off rather quickly. And you are correct about the solar panel. :-)

A guy I work with on the railroad has been in Maine this past week and for 2 more weeks visiting relatives but I cannot recall where. I do know he goes about every year and always says how beautiful the area is. Maine is on my "some day to visit" list.
TenofHearts12
Keeper

Postby beachbum1616 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:39 am

Interesting photos. I like the rocks on the fourth from the last, and the frontal shot showing the red lens (the paint from the lighthouse make it stand out more).

Was this a stag light?
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby epona » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:39 am

Gerald,

Thank you for your reply to my questions.

This leads me to several other questions.

1. Are there any trips that anyone know of that maybe taken by train in which one can see lighthouses.

2. How often are solar panels used on lighthouses and why?

Since I live up on a hill and on the top floor of a building I have lantern room view of Biddeford and Saco. I can both see and here the trains from my apartment.

Please continue to post your photo's.

Carole
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby TenofHearts12 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:47 am

Stephen,

The only other light or marker light in that area was directly across the channel as seen in the second pic.

Carole,

Someone will have a better answer than me as to the solar panels but my guess it is about economics and location. I think most lighthouses are so isolated that solar cells are the only choice and cheapest to maintain.
TenofHearts12
Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports