|

NJ Lighthouse Challenge

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby Maria » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:29 pm

I managed to hit four of the lights during the challenge this year, with two (Sea Girt and Barnegat) being first-time visits. I drove up north and worked my way down. Took me under 2 hours to get to Sandy Hook. The sky was blue and full of puffy white clouds, and the wind was strong.

Next stop was Navesink Twin Lights.

This isn't my best shot, but how often do I get to stop on the bridge? It was up for a good 15 minutes to let a sailboat through.

This was as much of the building I could get in one shot without falling down the hill.

Both towers were open for climbing. This is the view from the south tower, which should give you an idea of how clear it was. The white tower almost center in the picture is Sandy Hook Lighthouse.

Next stop was Sea Girt:
I was able to find this without any problems this time, and did not run into any of the rumored flooding.
The main attraction here was meeting Dennis. After I chatted with Dennis for a while, I made the short walk up to the lantern room, checked out the nice renovations, and headed off to Barnegat.

I arrived at Barnegat just as the ranger was locking up the tower, so I did not get to climb it, but at least I got a wooden nickel. I also got to walk around and take a bunch of pictures without many people around, and the late afternoon sun was great.

I have developed my own patented lighthouse shot...it's called the "face in the sand" shot. I even got this seagull to pose for me. Fortunately, no one was around to see the work in progress!

By time I got near home, it was dark. I passed Boathouse Row and Turtle Rock with their new lights. The tower is nicely lit up from the outside and inside, but the lights are dimmer and look kind of blue-greyish. Traffic was actually moving on the Schuylkill so I couldn't even try to shoot it.

8)

Maria
Maria
Head Keeper

Postby beachbum1616 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:47 pm

I really like that one of old barney and the sea gull.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:04 pm

Maria, those are beautiful photos. Thanks a lot for posting them!!! :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby wheland » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:22 am

Maria,

I like your photos. Glad you got to at least see Boathouse row lit up.

I'm going to have to get back there at night one of these days. It's a shame that the best place to see it is on the Expressway.

It was nice to get to talk to you live and in person. I should have taken a photo. I had my camera but I forgot all about it - too busy talking.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Larry » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:29 am

:!: Bonus Light :!: Bonus Light :!:

Maria,

In your shot of Sandy Hook from atop Navesink, look out in the water, slightly to the right, reddish on top, white on bottom. Yep, that's Romer Shoal.

I love the bonus lights!
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports