|

WHO DO YOU BELIEVE

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby AL » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:16 am

The sign in front of the Concord Point Light in MD

AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Postby Larry » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:25 am

If you're referring to the "oldest lighthouse in continuous operation", weren't many lights throughout the years turned off during various times of war? Perhaps it's the "continuous" part that they are extolling? I don't necessarily know for a fact, I'm just speculating.
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby AL » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:51 am

As far as I know Sandy Hook in NJ holds that distinction. I believe Concord Pt qualifies as the oldest in continuous operation in MD

Sandy Hook was completed in 1764 and is the oldest continuously operating lighthouse in the United States.

Concord Point Light was built in 1827. It is the second oldest tower lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay and the oldest continuous lighthouse in Maryland.
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Postby Larry » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:25 am

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEB ... /LHNJ.html

"1776, March: The lighting apparatus and oil lamps were removed in order to prevent the light aiding British troops."

So technically, Sandy Hook has not been in "continuous operation". Yes, perhaps it has been in operation longer than Concord Point has been around, but the words "oldest lighthouse in continuous operation" are still technically true of Concord Point. 8)

But then again, if, as according to the Chesapeake Chapter site says, the lens was stolen shortly after the light was decommissioned in 1975, was it really still operating?

And, as far as Concord Point being the second oldest tower on the Chesapeake....the Chesapeake Chapter site contradicts itself there. The Concord Point page says it, but the Pooles Island page says it is the fourth oldest, and it is two years older than Concord Point! So CP is really the 5th oldest tower on the Chesapeake (Old Cape Henry, Old Point Comfort, New Point Comfort, Pooles Island, Concord Point). :roll:
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby AL » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:24 pm

Back to the original heading on this thread:

WHO DO YOU BELIEVE?
:?:
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Postby Larry » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:33 pm

No one? :lol:
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby wheland » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:27 pm

Al,

I've found over the years of visiting Lighthouses that just about every one of them makes some claim to be the oldest, highest, etc in some way shape or form.

I have always objected to the terminology used to describe Sandy Hook as the oldest continuously operating Lighthouse in the United States as there are at least two documented periods where the light was not lit.

I beleive the concept with Sandy Hook volunteers (and I used to be one) stating that Sandy hook is the oldest continuosly operating Lighthouse in the United States is based not on it's Light being lit for al those years but on the fact that it is the original Lighthouse (with some modifications to the lantern, windows, etc) built in 1764.

This in comparison to the other places that had established Lighthouses prior to 1764 but are not the original lighthouses constructed on that site. I believe the current Beavertail Lighthouse is the fourth one and the Lighthouse at Brant Point on Nantucket is something like the 8th or 9th (could actually be higher) and the boston Lighthouse (which is listed as the oldest site in the US) is the 3rd or 4th one there.

Of course as in many other things these definitions are subject to intrepretation by various sources.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby AL » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:43 pm

Dennis,

I agree with you. I think Sandy Hook is the oldest operating lighthouse in the country. As Larry pointed out many were most likely darkened during war times and as you noted many are second, or third, etc. generation lights.
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports