|

NELL's 2006 Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate and You (Many Photos)

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby shirin » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:15 pm

And just what are all of these lighthouse nuts smiling about?

Try an unseasonably warm Maine day in Portland visiting the Portland Observatory and the lights of Portland as a part of our annual Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate and You event.

Our first group outing for the year started at the Portland Observatoryhttp://www.portlandlandmarks.org/portland_observatory/observatory.htm which is the only remaining Maritime Signal tower in the US at 9AM. Yes, it looks like a lighthouse but never was lit as one. Many of us started gathering at the Observatory up to an hour early to get in extra time to catch up with our fellow lighthouse nuts. The 70+ member group was split up into several smaller groups for tours of the tower.

A view of the Bug Light from the top of the Observatory.

Our next stop was the Bug Light which was opened for our group to climb. It might be a littly bitty light, but one of my favorites to visit with its ornate detail work on the tower.

View back to Observatory from Bug Light.

A quick stop over to Spring Point Ledge was next. No tower opening yesterday for this light however there was talk that the tower might be opening today for NELL members who were staying over night. See http://a1.cpimg.com/image/33/7D/55555891-7861-01540200-.jpg for more info on this light.

After a lunch break it was time to gather at the Portland Head lighthouse http://www.portlandheadlight.com/ for a climb of the tower and of course, our lovely group photo from above. It's not a complete NELL trip without gathering for one of those shots!

Next up was a quick stop at the Cape Elizabeth Town Hall to get a view of the lens that was once in one of the Cape Elizabeth Twin towers.

The final lighthouse stop for the day was the Cape Elizabeth twin towers. Thanks to ALF, we were able to get access to and climb the East Tower.

To wind up our day, members headed back to the Howard Johnson's of South Portland to enjoy cookies, brownies and of course hot chocolate! While on the way we were treated to an unexpected full rainbow. Guess it was raining somewhere not too far away but it certainly wasn't raining on our parade! We held a mini-meeting of sorts as we had some auction items, a 50-50 raffle and many announcments for the group. Now we can look forward to and only hope that our spring outing will go just as well!
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:36 pm

Shirin, Thanks for sharing!

I dont remember seeing a view of Cape Elizabeth quite like that solitary shot and am almost embarrassed to say I didnt know it was freestanding ... Between the famous painting and numerous photos it was always my thought that this light was attached.

Glad you had fine weather ... memory says it wasnt quite that nice at last year's event :wink:
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Hersh » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:09 pm

Sounds like you had a great time, congratulations to you and all the NELL folks.

I never even knew to look for the observatory when I was in Portland, I wish I would have. The web page explains it nicely, as I didn't even know exactly what it was used for.

I see you in the picture Shirin, ( I have pretty good eyes) but was Tom Kenworthy there? I can't imagine "The Captain" would miss such an event if he could avoid it.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby shirin » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:39 pm

Yes Mike, Tom was there. He's almost exactly two rows behind me with the blue hat on.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Maria » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:53 pm

And to think I didn't sign up because I was sure the weather would completely suck this time of year!

8)

Maria
Maria
Head Keeper

Postby shirin » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:04 pm

And to think Maria, you weathered snow and bird poop last year to have missed the good weather this time around?
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Hersh » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:56 pm

Ok, I see the hat and the shades, good enough for me.

In the Cape Elizabeth light, why are there two different optics in the lantern??
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports