|

NELL Cruise, Saturday, June 3, 2006 at Stamford, CT Part 2/2

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby Jen » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:54 am

After Sheffield Island, we had about an hour to reach Penfield Reef, so it was lunchtime. The first thing I did was get the images I'd taken backed up (some of you remember from the WILD cruise the portable CD burner I had? I broke the card slot, so it was toast - thanks to Fran for saving the day by bringing hers!). By the time I was done burning CD's, I got about 1/2 of my sandwich down and the boat was arriving at Penfield Reef. This light is very similar to Rose Island and Pomham Rocks in Rhode Island.

As we cruised into Bridgeport/Stratford area to see the three lighthouses there, we passed by a tugboat pulling a large flat-bottomed cargo ship (sorry, not sure what the proper term for those are!).

Next on the list was Fayerweather Island lighthouse, also known as the Black Harbor Lighthouse. This charmer sits on the end of a tiny strip of land that is now connected by a large boulder breakwater.

The next lighthouse, Tongue Point, sits on the end of a breakwater that I believe is now on private property - a power plant I think, and it's not accessible by land. The better views are from the water. As these two shots convey, you can get a totally different perspective based on what direction you are viewing the light from.

After we departed Tongue Point, the boat coasted up the shoreline towards Stratford Point. We got into the general area, and I overheard someone say that the GPS quit working on the bridge. We coasted up and down the shoreline for several minutes, searching for the lighthouse, which was really difficult to spot in 1/2 mile visibility with the thick fog!! Finally, we spotted this lovely beacon, all lit up, guiding the way.

I understand this is a private USCG residence, and pretty much off limits to the general public. A couple years or so ago, there was a nice family living there that did allow people to enter the grounds and take photos and even climb the tower (Fran, we would love to see some images!). I had intended on hitting this light Sunday morning before embarking on the ferry to Long Island, but I was very short on time, having to be at the dock at 7:30am (I did get some nice land based shots of Black Harbor, which I will post in another thread).

The last light of the day was Stratford Shoal. Located over 8 miles offshore from Bridgeport, it is a difficult lighthouse to access, due to the frequent waves and potential storms that occur. It's extremely isolated location makes it even more mysterious and awe-inspiring at what some of the lightkeepers must have endured for their times alone in places like this.

That concludes the 7.5 hour, foggy, drizzle, and rainy NELL cruise. I still had a fabulous time and thoroughly enjoyed the people and the new faces I got to meet! I have a full day of Rhode Island lighthouse, as well as several on Long Island and the remaining Connecticut lights to post as soon as I get the edited.
Jen
Assistant Inspector

Postby wheland » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:46 am

Jen,

Your photos are again- as always- very good. Yes they are a bit drearier than some but they still are great photos.

I'm truly sorry I missed this trip- for all I saw of my family over that weekend I could have skipped the family outings and gone with my original plan.

I really regret meeting some people that I have yet to connect with in person- such as yourself.

Hopefully Esther and I can make the next one.

Dennsi
wheland
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:53 am

Hi Jen ...

Somehow, the greens look greener ... the reds, redder ... the browns, earthier ... then I remember through the fog and rain :wink: Seriously, though ... a spectacular array! I especially like the two of Stratford Point ... and the second, with the nautical buoys hanging on the fence ... even more than the first.

Glad you are home safe and dry. Thanks for posting Part I and Part II ... waiting for Sunday and Monday!
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby rocky5128 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:43 am

Looking at all those pictures I am jealous. I am going to have to find a way to get there next year if they decide to do it again.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports