|

Trotter-Lindberg

Forum to discuss all areas of lighthouse technology such as optics, fuels, fog signals, radiobeacons, daymarks, construction, etc.

Postby Fred » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:42 am

I have had enquiries about Trotter-Lindberg lights.

They had a cylinder with slots rotating around the lamp which was powered by the heat generated from the lamp

Any information?

Information I have

From Lighthouse - LoveToKnow 1911

In1881-1882several beacons lighted automatically by volatile petroleum spirit on the Lindberg-Lyth and Lindberg-Trotter systems were established in Sweden. Many lights of this type have subsequently been placed in different parts of the world. The volatile FIG. 46. - Garvel Beacon. spirit lamp burns day and night. Occulta tions are produced by a screen or series of screens rotated round the light by the ascending current of heated air and gases from the lamp.

21-in. Trinity House Parabolic Reflector Service Intensity of Beam. wick " " Burners I Douglass. 2715 candles acting upon a horizontal fan. The speed of rotation of the fan cannot be accurately adjusted, and the times of occultation therefore are liable to slight variation. The lights run unattended for periods up to twenty-one days.
Fred
Keeper

Postby LeadingLight » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:05 pm

Some info I could find:

Another cheap and very effective light, the "Trotter Lindberg," is being introduced into the lighting system of Europe. This light is produced by burning paraffin or lythene oil in a specially designed apparatus. With the latter the light burns 14 days, and with the former 7 days without attention. A special feature of the apparatus is that an intermittent light is produced by the automatic action of a screen, which is made to revolve by the ascent of the heated air produced by the light. To mark the outer end of a cutting or narrow channel, the Trotter-Lindberg light might be utilised instead of a lightship. (http://www.gutenberg.org/files/24442/24442-h/24442-h.htm)
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
51 34 06.7 N - 006 01 57.8 E
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Fred » Mon May 02, 2011 12:05 pm

Thankyou Frans
All I can find is the odd reference,looks like one of those lights that were all the vogue for a few years and then superceded never to be heard again.
Fred
Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Technology