|

Will it lens?

Forum to discuss all areas of lighthouse technology such as optics, fuels, fog signals, radiobeacons, daymarks, construction, etc.

Postby LighthouseNews » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:52 am

I was sent this link by someone on Twitter. It's from the official Google blog. Do you think that Google employees may have way too much time on their hands, or at least on their lunch hour? I had to check closely to make sure it wasn't a late April Fool's joke. But then again it still might be. Enjoy this look at what a Fresnel lens will (supposedly) do.

Will it lens

More details and photos

A hint:
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby island » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:00 am

Boys with a toy but not that unusual. Fresnel lenses have been used for specific applications in a similar fashion. Spot fresnel lenses (circular pattern) such as the on the boys are playing with are used where a high temperature small areas of heat is desired. Linear fresnel lenses (straight line pattern) provide less heat but over a wider area and have potential for solar heating and hot water appications.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:09 pm

Boys with toys Island. So where are the girls I mean women? What do the women play with? So many questions come to mind like how big of a lens you would to have to (for example power a house, a 150 houses). Of course it would depend on where the houses where located and how big they where.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:35 pm

I don't know of any incidents where a lightkeeper cooked his breakfast inside his fresnel lens. I suppose it was possible but it would have been inconvenient for having to first remove the lamp.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LighthouseNews » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:09 pm

epona wrote:Boys with toys Island. So where are the girls I mean women? What do the women play with?

But Carole, don't you know we women are way too smart to be burning CDs. I mean by hitting them with a lens, and not by adding music to them. :)

You and I, we would probably find way better things to do. But if the power goes out, it's a good thing to remember. :-k
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Rob143 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:40 pm

I read somewhere recently about the idea of using fresnel's in front of PV panels in solar arrays to increase the potential output.

I'm hoping the technology proves itself and eventually becomes financially viable for the private user. I would like to utilize solar on the roof of a fifth wheel but as it stands the size of the panels would result in covering a large part of the roof to achieve the wattage I would like.

Augustin's lens has been used for many purposes far divergent from lighthouses since it was introduced.

I do however doubt he would have ever envisioned the use shown here.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Technology