|

Port Washington Plans

A forum for all lighthouse news and press releases.

Postby Grover » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:02 am

"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:49 am

If they could get the lighting right, it would be a sight to see. May even start a trend ! :)
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby tinypiney » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:19 pm

Oh yeah, that's a great idea! :)
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:21 am

This is a lighthouse???

It looks likes a rendition of some cartoon character with arms and head missing.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:47 pm

Sure it is. The style was called "Arts Decoratifs", commonly known as "Art Deco", and eight such lights were placed on the Great Lakes, mostly during the 1930s....Two on Lake Erie (Conneaut, Huron Harbor), One on Lake Huron (Gravelly Shoal), Four on Lake Michigan (Grays Reef, Indiana Harbor, Port Washington, Minneapolis Shoal), and One on Lake Superior (Keweenaw Upper Entry). Half of them still have their 'Lantern Rooms' at the top.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby tinypiney » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:32 pm

This is a lighthouse???

It looks likes a rendition of some cartoon character with arms and head missing.
:lol:
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this style either. The lights would look cooler on a lighthouse that actually looked like a lighthouse. :)
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Art Decos have a style all their own....And one must admit, they are very rare in the Lighthousing World.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby tinypiney » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:05 pm

...maybe they're very rare because they're ugly?
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:17 pm

I actually like their looks. And, they are certainly much better to look at than all the D-9 Cylinders that are scattered all over the Great Lakes. :lol:
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby island » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:54 pm

There are countless Art-deco structures, many built in the 1930's and early 1940's and then in a later period, the '60s period of more modern adaptation. However, this lighthouse and its Indiana twin appear to the only such Art-deco structures with four distinctive legs.

The term "Arts Decoratifs" (art object or decoration) as created by "artistes décorateurs" (decorator artists).

It has been suggested there is an Egyptian influence in this art. If it had been significantly greater then these two lighthouses would likely have had feet on those legs. Alan Stevenson was likewise so influenced in the design of a couple of his lighthouses. Thankfully the Stevensons were not into Art-Deco!
Last edited by island on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:06 pm

For sure they are the only 2 Art Decos put up on these types of pedestals on the Great Lakes. I believe they were constructed the same year (1935). There was a reason for the unusual pedestal design I read somewhere, but it escapes me at the moment.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby island » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:26 pm

Looks like two of us here in the wee hours. Chuck. What Indiana time zone are you residing in?

There may have been a functional reason for the legs. They really seem not part of the "conventional" art deco design. They do serve to elevate the structure above possible storm wave overwash on the breakwater.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby CHUCKX53 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:59 am

Heh...I'd actually left before your reply, but did see you here. How long has it been since there has been someone else actually on the board at the same time as me ?
But, was sleepy, so I cut out.
I'm in the Eastern portion of the time zone, although I should be in Central, as I live in the Western part of the state (see my rant against DST in another thread). The time zone thing has been a contentious issue in Indiana for some time now.

I've actually stood underneath the Port Washington BW Light. All I can say is....That must be some strong concrete and rebar. Was thinking, as I was there, what would happen if it ever gave way and sent the whole works, light and all, crashing down. It's been 76 years since these two lights went up, and I think (but don't know) that is the original concrete. The only other Art Deco that I have actually gotten close enough to touch is at Huron, Ohio. It seems to be planted on a solid concrete base, and has railings around it. There may be a 'basement' area to these other Art Decos, I don't know. Never been inside one. Terry could probably shed some 'light' on that subject, and also to why these two are up on these pedestals. Seems a bit risky to me, as far as longevity. I went and photoed the Indiana Harbor light from the channel about 4 years ago, but couldn't access it, as it's surrounded by private (man-made) Industrial land. That concrete pedestals on that light look in a whole lot worse shape than Port Washington, at least to me.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby tinypiney » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:18 am

And, they are certainly much better to look at than all the D-9 Cylinders that are scattered all over the Great Lakes.
True dat.
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Return to Lighthouse News and Press Releases