|

Isle Royale Lighthouses - Oct-Dec issue of Great Laker

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:22 pm

The Oct-Dec cover of Great Laker is shown above.

This issue also contains the article:

Isle Royale Lighthouse Quartet
In this case, getting there is half the fun

By Dave Wobser

You can read an excerpt from his article on the Great Laker website at the following link:

http://www.greatlakes-seawayreview.com/ ... MenuID=572

Yours truly has also been busy for this issue, with another Marine PHotography photo spread in this issue. The version of that is posted on my website at the following link:

http://www.coastalbeacons.com/HarborHou ... Dec_04.htm
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:33 pm

:D Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:35 pm

Again, almost enough to get me to subscribe again. But since I can probably get a free issue out of you, maybe not.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Ross » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:46 am

Wow, who took that photo? ;)

Me thinks you planned that shot, Gary :D Looks great, I hope you keep framed versions of your magazine covers!
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby plebetkin » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:20 am

congratulations, Gary!
good friends mean good times
plebetkin
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:33 pm

Thanks for the very positive comments, everyone :!:

And yes, Ross, whenever I'm shooting I take into consideration the possibility of composing for potential cover usage, selecting a focal length that leaves room for the masthead and sufficient space for the text that graphics designers need to insert onto a magazine cover when I compose. I also shoot plenty of shots that are much more tightly cropped in the viewfinder, as well as landscape-oriented shots.

As for Hersh, maybe I'll have to cut off his freebies so he has to subscribe again! :wink:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby buster » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:07 pm

Congrats. :)
Buster
NELL/ALF Member
buster
Inspector

Postby CaptainJason » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:16 am

Gary

Great picture on the cover of the Greatlaker magazine, but I must say that I am a little disappointed that there isn't more information on how you can actually see the lights of Isle Royale. We do have a cruise scheduled to go around the Island again in 2005. For those of us who are famailiar with the Island, taking the tour boats to Isle Royale is not going to get you anywhere near the Lights of Isle Royale. The Keweenaw Star is the only boat, less personal boats, that will get you the photo op like you have on the cover of the magazine.
CaptainJason
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:39 pm

Jason -
I mentioned that these were shot from the Keweenaw Star in the text that I wrote to go with the Marine Photography photo spread that is also in that issue. Unfortunately, that got edited away in favor of keeping everything in my piece related to the photography.

There is, however, a story in that issue of Great Laker titled "Isle Royale Lighthouse Quartet" written by Dave Wobser in that issue. Dave's article is more general and he mentions the GLLKA tour that you did, gives the link to your website, and mentions that it is likely that the trip will be repeated.

I suspect that the editor is trying to keep a balance between my photography and the text contained in Dave's companion pieces on the same lighthouses so that the two don't overlap too much.

I'm happy, however to put a link on my website that will link to the Keweenaw Star site and a note that the trip is going to be repeated this summer. If you can send me details on when you've planned to run the trip, I'll add that detail on my website as well. Hope that that will help :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:18 pm

Jason, I also participated in the cruise last year and hope to attend the apostle islands cruise this summer. If you'd like, I'd be glad to link to you on my site. I do mention in my Isle Royale and Keweenaw galleries that the photos were tanek mostly from the deck of your boat. With the way you guys run your operation, I'd be proud to have your link. Hopefully I can send some business your way.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby CaptainJason » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:10 am

Gary and Mike

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not whining about not getting some free press, It is just unfortunate that things like the how and when get dropped for more of the who or what. Just having the pictures in the magazine is going to stir up the question of how do I get here to take this picture, and if you really want to, your going to find the way. If you want to post my link on your websites that would be great, and if you can send me your sites, I can get a link up on mine. Hope to see you guys this summer.

P.S. Thats to bad about the Morris Island light not getting the funds to do repairs down in Charleston. They really need that lighthouse there, because the one on Sullivans Island that replaced it is UGLY. I was just down there a couple of weeks ago, and stopped in Charleston for a few days on my way to Florida. The one on Sullivans Island is like taking pictures of a control tower at an airport. The History of Charleston deserves a historic lighthouse, not something like that.

Jason
CaptainJason
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:00 am

This is a fabulous issue of this magazine, and Gary's contribution outstanding, as always!!!! :yay: ^:)^

Thanks for helping to keep me in the loop, Gary!!! :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses