|

"Old" Lighthouse News

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:45 pm

Since this news is a century old, I decided to place it here rather than in lighthouse news, but it was interesting enough to share with the group!

Lighthouse nearly toppled in storm
By GARY PULLANO
Special to The Sentinel

From the pages of The Holland Sentinel and Holland City News.

Friday

Dec. 30, 1904* A storm that arose with the suddenness that characterized the big blow that sunk the Chicora several years ago and that rivaled that storm in velocity and power swept Lake Michigan last Tuesday night, and Macatawa Park, Ottawa Beach and Holland harbor came in for more than an equal share of the destruction wrought. The lighthouse near the end of the pier came near going with the wrecked crib and now topples at an angle of 45 degrees, apparently ready to plunge in the lake. Considerable damage was done to resort property.
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:19 am

I'd love to see a photo of the light leaning like that!! Much have been a hum-dinger of a storm for sure.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:48 pm

I would too, Mike!! If anyone can find one, please post it here!!!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby island » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:59 pm

From Terry's Holland page:
http://www.terrypepper.com/lights/michi ... olland.htm

"In a major gale on December 22, 1904, the outer crib on which the steel pierhead light stood was pushed off center by the force of the sea, and had taken on a noticeable lean. Fearing that the structure might topple into the lake, the tower was disassembled and shipped to the St. Joseph Lighthouse Depot for repair. A wooden foundation pier was erected, and the repaired tower returned to Holland, where it was again hoisted on the rebuilt pier and bolted in place."
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:44 pm

Terry's site is invaluable for information on Great Lakes lighthouses! When I first started traveling to Michigan, it was my all-purpose tour guide.

Thanks for the link, Dave! :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses