|

South Haven on Ice

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Grover1 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:40 pm

We've seen this before ... from The Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1811

(No Photo Credit)
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Biggy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:20 pm

I sense a Hersh posting in the near future ... :lol:
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Hersh » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:46 am

This went out over the AP, it was in my local paper this week as well. I'd noticed on a webcam that the ice was pretty thick on there already, guess I should head out.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:39 am

The title on this image is "55 Below", which happens to have been the wind chill at South Haven the day this was shot. Although this wasn't shot recently, go get'm Hersh...

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Rob143 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:24 pm

I like it Gary. I have every expectation of getting up there next Sunday. What precautions did you take in walking that far out the pier to get that particular shot? 55 below may be a bit colder than perfect, but we're hitting my time of year when we are consistently below 30 for the daily highs. It's finally time to start putting on more than just a shirt.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:12 pm

Here are a couple of others Rob. These were shot on a Sunday in late January, 2004. In the first one, the ice I was standing on, atop the pier, was about 7-8 feet thick where the image was shot from. The air temp when this was shot was about -12F.

The second shot was taken the same day at sunset. I hiked up the beach about 1/4 mile or so and then about 300-400 yards out onto the frozen lake. I was on top of a 30 foot tall ice dune that dropped precipitously down to the frozen surface of the lake a few feet in front of where the tripod was set. This was shot on Fuji Velvia iso 50 and the exposure was pretty long at a focal length of 600 mm. The film should have been well into reciprocity failure based on the exposure, which was, in part the reason for the really saturated color.

If you get up there next weekend, Rob, good luck on the ice and the light. The answers to your question about precautions on venturing out on the piers is in an e-mail.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby wheland » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:14 pm

You might be interested in one of the HL products for 2008-

http://www.harbourlights.com/catalog/20 ... _haven.htm

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Blacktphoto » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:15 pm

Amazing photography! Great, great stuff.

My wife and I drove out to Lake Michigan from New Jersey in mid-January of 2006, and unfortunately we were met with mild weather in the mid-30s. :cry:

One of these winters I will get back out there and hopefully get lucky.

Best of luck, be safe, and happy shooting to those who can take advantage of it.

Cheers,

- John
Blacktphoto
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Hersh » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:44 pm

Not sure if it'll be this week, but I'll sure be looking for an opportunity soon...
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Dennis,

I took a look at what Harbor Lights did... after having seen how intricate the ice on the west-facing side of the South Haven light can be, I'll take the photos that I have of the light in the dead of winter and my memories of it like that.

The Iceman Cometh
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:14 pm

A little less ice in this one, but you get the idea.

Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Rob143 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:23 pm

Thanks for all you've offered in the way of pointers and visual inspiration Gary.

I would be quite happy to get a few good shots with even that much ice for starters Mike. I'd love to see something like Gary's shot looking back from the lake but I'm just thinking it will be much later this winter, if at all, until that opportunity presents itself. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the lake offers up to us all and if timing cooperates to get there.

Thanks Dennis, but I collect photos and memories. I do have a few HL's, but haven't bought any in several years and the ones I have are all in a box. It makes me wonder why I bothered buying them. I've actually thought different times about putting them on ebay if I were ever sure I'd be home long enough to get paid and get them shipped out.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Rob143 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:46 pm

Even now at this hour it is still almost 40 in South Haven, with a forecast of rain and mid to high 40's all afternoon tomorrow. I'm thinking tomorrow now looks like a better time to stay here and watch my Chargers win a playoff game for a change. It's still early and hopefully this winter will provide more, and better, opportunities. Did you by any chance make it up there this week while it was still below 30 Mike?
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:00 am

Nope, I've been sick, so I'm trying to stay in and not make things worse. I hope all the ice doesn't melt during this stupid warm spell.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:12 am

Mike, even if it DOES melt, I'm quite sure it will be back soon...... :wink:

Feel better!!!!!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Next