|

Harsen's Island Rear Range Light, or maybe not?

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby NoahG » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:10 pm

Closer up
Attachments
HarsensCrop.gif
HarsensCrop.gif (79.57 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby NoahG » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:21 pm

And from the 2009 Light List
Attachments
LLpic.tiff
LLpic.tiff (32.31 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Hey, THANKS a bunch, Noah -- The Cylinder Is real easy to spot - It's right by the road - but for some unknown brain-fart reason, I didn't see the other Range Light you Described......

I'll Be sure to look for it in a couple of weeks when I'm up there -- Since this is a Front Range, It Is bound to be shorter than the Rear, so do you have an Idea of the hight of this Light ?
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby NoahG » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:54 pm

I can't really guess on heigh, as I was somewhat far off, and it was rather overcast that day.

However, it was VERY similar in appearance to the Windmill Point Light, sans lantern. Makes sense since they were constructed in the same period.

From boatnerd.com
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:20 pm

So, I'm Guessing, 20 to maybe 25 Ft, BUT I'm also thinking perhaps the size of the Old Six Mile FR, now in DeTour Village, Since it's also a Front Range used in the same manner -- I'm trying to remember if the Cylinder RR on Harsen's was about 36 ft ? I'll have to check my files........

At any rate, Thanks again for the help -- I have been looking through the old posts for anything of interest -- There's a wealth of information here !! -- and saw yours, and since I'm going that way, checked it out -- Glad I did.... :)

That's a fine shot of Windmill, Also -- Took me 4 times of going up there before I could get one -- and I think yours looks better............
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby NoahG » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:46 pm

Now that I realize it the heights are actually on the Light List, with the Front Range at 27 feet and the Rear Range at 31 feet.

I wish I could claim that was my shot. I borrowed it from here http://lighthouse.boatnerd.com/gallery/ ... -Point.htm

I do have my own shots of Windmill Pt. but I don't think they are on this computer. I'll have to look.
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:09 pm

OK, I didn't see that at the bottom---Early Mad Cow Disease...... 8)
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby NoahG » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:16 pm

Glad I could help, I look forward to any pictures you end up taking from your trip.
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:02 am

NoahG wrote:Oh Grand Island Range. It's all because of the Penrose book that they get called the End of the Road Ranges. The 2007 Light List refers to the front D9 as the Bay Furnace light, and the rear light is actually unlisted. That's odd. I swear it's been listed in the past. I thought it had been re-lit and re-named the Christmas Light. So, in modern terms, the Bay Furnace Light and the Christmas Light act as a range. Of course, we know this should be named the Grand Island Range, at least that's how I refer to them.

About the Penrose book -- That was our first guidebook to the lights when we started in 1999 -- and as long as they were coast lights, we could usually find them from the directions -- But there were many exceptions, and as far as directions to, or locations of, the offshore lights, forget it......

In addition to the Grand Island Ranges, they also mis-named Lower Nicolet on Neebish Island AS just Neebish Island, so for awhile, I thought of the light as "Neebish", until I read the article about the St. Mary's River lights in the Beacon (Which In my opinion is the best Informative magazine on the Great Lakes)......Point being, there is a lot of mis-information out there, fueled by places like Flicker, that routinely post pictures of lights with the wrong names on them..........
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby NoahG » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:46 am

I too started with the Penrose book, so it will always be, in my mind, the one I compare everything else to.

Ah Lower Nicolet, haven't seen it in person yet, but it's always in the back of my mind because 1) it's part of the "mystery" chain of St. Mary's AtoN's and 2) it was a former Range light at Windmill Point. And I certainly agree about the Beacon, it alone is worth the cost of membership in GLLKA. I read each one cover to cover and then have to wait patiently for three months for the next piece of published gold. (Yes, I think rather highly of it)

There is a literal TON of mis-information on the web. I have a Flickr I do use occasionally and I try to be as meticulous as I can about info and descriptions.
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:12 am

I will say that, with your relative youth, you certianly know your stuff -- I knew that the place Jeff Shook bought was the front range (kinda hard to miss the rear range on the road), but I didn't know the Proper Name until I read your Post -- AND I didn't realize the Cylinder was part of a range light system, now thanks to you I do -- and just in the nick of time, I might add... :D
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Previous

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses