|

Keepers Wanted at Mission Point

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby epona » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:46 am

I can see both sides of coin on this topic. One side you need money to run and maintain a lighthouse. If you can people to play a fee for volunteering an organization gets a two for one, money and physical help for upkeep.

Now on the other side you might have people who could come and volunteer but they have a very tight budget. These people then lose out, the organization might lose out as well.

This does not happen just in the wonderful world of lighthouses. Many non profit organizations will not allow you just to attend an event by volunteering. You also have to pay the full admission price. Their is another side to this as well, I have seen people who could more than afford the cost of coming to a fundraising event, sign up just to work one hour, the evening of a 5 hour event. This type of policy did not go down to well with those of us who put in countless hours of work to make the event happen.

In closing I think that it is good that this topic is being reviewed here. I for one do not know what the answers are. So I would love to read what other people think about this.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Terry_Pepper » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:47 pm

Arrive Friday night - keep the lighthouse open Saturday and Sunday 9:00 AM to 4: 00 PM. Head home Sunday night .... or stay on for a few days (or weeks)
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby epona » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:52 pm

Terry,

More questions.

How many volunteers can you handle and or use? Say a group of people wants to help you out.

What sort of skills to do you for in a volunteer?

I am going to assume that the volunteer(s) bring their own food, bedding and the like.

I have more questions however these are the most basic ones for me.

Thank you for your input and help.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Previous

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses