|

Lighthouse Cruise

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby CaptainJason » Tue May 06, 2008 7:51 am

Lighthouse Lovers:

Come join the crew of the Keweenaw Star, and the Chesapeke Chapter of USLHS on a 3 day lighthouse event of Western Lake Superior on July 15th, 16th, and 17th. Room is still available to see the Lights of the Apostles, Split Rock, and the Keweenaw Penisula, as well as the ports of Duluth, Superior, Two Harbors, Silver Bay, and Ontonogon. See ships, and the lighthouses of the Apostle Islands up close as we travel to Duluth for an overnight stay on Canal Park on day one. See Split Rock and Two Harbors on day two. See more of the Apostles, and Ontonogon on day three. This trip will include your boat fare with meals aboard, overnight in Duluth and Silver Bay, and a bus trip to Split Rock State Park. Contact Joyce Holland at (410) 548-1783 for pricing information. Reservations required by June 1st.

Captain Jason
CaptainJason
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby CaptainJason » Wed May 07, 2008 6:36 am

The cost for this trip is $650 for singles, and $890 for doubles, 2 people sharing the same room. Can anyone say economic stimulus package. For those of you who have been on the Keweenaw Star you know we get the closest, and give everyone on board the best opportunity for the picture they want. We serve great food on board, and we have a great time. This is the best chance to see The lighthouses of the Apostles, and the newly renovated Split Rock.

Captain Jason
CaptainJason
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Hersh » Wed May 07, 2008 10:02 am

I'll give Jason a plug here, I know of no better way to see these lighthouse than on the Star. The crew is great, the boat is nice, and you see some of the most beautiful spots on the Great Lakes.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby CaptainJason » Thu May 08, 2008 8:53 am

Hersh

You should go man. Last year when we did this cruise we saw the Alpena, JAW Iglehart, American Integrity, St Clair(again), Indiana Harbor, James R. Barker, and the American Fortitude.

Captain Jason
CaptainJason
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Hersh » Thu May 08, 2008 1:23 pm

That's a pretty impressive tally... Promise me a close up of the Ryerson and I'm there! :D
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby CaptainJason » Thu May 08, 2008 1:37 pm

Hersh

They're on a run from Superior to Hamilton Ontario, so it is possible.

Jason
CaptainJason
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Thu May 08, 2008 4:54 pm

When I was in Duluth in November 2006 shooting the annual lighthing at Split Rock I had the good fortune of getting to shoot the Ryerson as she entered Duluth. That's all I'll say... I'll just let the pics do the talkin'

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Thu May 08, 2008 7:05 pm

I'm going to guess you have a good reason for not sharing those with me Martin.... :x My favorite ship coming in between the piers at Duluth... The stuff dreams are made of.

Jason, you're tempting me....
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Thu May 08, 2008 9:01 pm

No particular reason other than I have them and could share them, Hersh.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Blacktphoto » Fri May 09, 2008 6:07 pm

Duluth is a fantastic town to visit. Here are some photos of outbound traffic:

For a Jersey boy this was an absolutely amazing experience. I had no idea what I was in for when I went down to shoot the lights that morning. Seeing the American Courage leave port really sparked my interest in these great ships.

We've run into some unexpected expenses this year, so we're really hoping that the trip is offered again next summer. Duluth...Split Rock...The Apostle Islands and 14 Mile Point? Holy cow! Considering the itinerary it seems like a great value and a lot of fun.

- John
Blacktphoto
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Fri May 09, 2008 6:18 pm

John, I did that trip a couple of years ago and can very highly recommend it! The views of Split Rock from a mariner's vantage point are spectacular and worth the trip by itself :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sat May 10, 2008 3:15 pm

Very true. I wish we'd have had better skies for photography, but a magnificent view nonetheless.

And 14 mile point, definitely one you need to see before it crumbles. Gary and I made it out there in, what '04? It wasn't looking very stable then. Hard to say how many more Lake Superior winters it will take...
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun May 11, 2008 3:43 am

It was '04, Hersh. Here are a couple of shots from land of 14 Mile Point.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun May 11, 2008 6:28 am

While we're on the subject of trips on the Keweenaw Star, I have to plug the quality of those trips for Captain Jason and the crew, all of whom are great! (Well, they're the Great Lakes, after all... :!: ) Anyway, here is a cover from Great Laker shot off of the upper deck of the Keweenaw Star as we were leaving Rock of Ages to head for Windingo Ranger Station on Isle Royale National Park a couple of years ago.

And one of the shots of Split Rock taken from the water below the cliff on which the lighthouse sits 130 feet above the water. While the skies weren't the greatest that day, at the same time, I rather like the forboding qualities of the skies over the big lake that day...

And there is sure no way to capture an image like that from land :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby CaptainJason » Mon May 12, 2008 6:44 am

Gary, Hersh

Thanks for all the great plugs for the trip. I wish I could figure out how to post some images from last years trip. I have some great shots from Split Rock. The weather that day was perfect for photography.

Captain Jason
CaptainJason
1st Assistant Keeper

Next

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses