|

Sunset at St Joe last Tuesday ... bandwidth!!!

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Gary Martin » Mon May 26, 2008 1:41 pm

On another thread I mentioned that I'd post some additional shots from last Tuesday night at St Joe when Hersh joined me on toward sunset. Before he got there, there were spectacular crepuscular rays streaming down through openings in the clouds.

About the time Hersh got to St Joe was when the following shot was taken...

More later...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Tybeeisland48 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:15 pm

Gary,

Fantastic.....I so appreciate images like these when the sky and clouds seem to be making a statement!
I cannot get images like these, but I appreciate those that can..thanks again for sharing!
Tybeeisland48
Keeper

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Tue May 27, 2008 6:33 am

And people wonder why we love it there!!!!!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Wed May 28, 2008 6:45 pm

More than an hour after the sun dipped below the horizon, this image was shot on Velvia 100. The exposure was in the range of about 2 minutes. This was metered off the sky with the lens wide open at f/2.8 and then stopped down to give me the exposure that I wanted.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Wed May 28, 2008 7:15 pm

A soothing image, the double light with the muted sky ... Gary, thanks for sharing this one ...

... and a question ... Jen once explained to me how it was the time, the length of the exposure, that "smoothed" over the water ... why did this effect only last from the shore to the outer light and not beyond?
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Wed May 28, 2008 7:55 pm

Barry, actually the water isn't smoothed over... it's just lighted by the lights in the lantern rooms out to the outer light and not beyond. Light going out that way is headed away from the camera and not recorded on the film unless it somehow bounces back toward me. Hope that that helps.

Here's another shot taken on Velvia 50 earlier that evening. This image was shot using a Nikkor 17-35 mm f/2.8 lens. With the horizon placed as low as it was, you'll notice some curvature to the horizon. The clouds and crepuscular rays were spectacular all evening. I was sorry Hersh wasn't yet there for this. Then again, had it not been for the disaster occasioned by UPS, I wouldn't have been there either.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Terry_Pepper » Wed May 28, 2008 8:20 pm

After looking at Gary's photos, I believe the different appearance between the water in the foreground and the background is caused by the pier doing exactly what it is supposed to do - calming the waters on its lee - leaving what little wave action there was unbroken beyond the pier.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby Biggy » Wed May 28, 2008 8:25 pm

The one with the lighted lanterns amid the red sky is really cool. And the accent reflection at the bottom has a neat effect.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Fri May 30, 2008 8:55 pm

A few more from Tuesday evening...

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses