|

One for Leah

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:10 am

Leah and her family are headed toward Lake Michigan for vacation before too much longer. She visited Michigan while I still lived there and I showed her a number of lights the day she had. We hit a number of lights, including an absolutely spectacular sunset at Grand Haven. Unfortunately, by the time we got back down to Holland, it was pitch dark. Unfortunately, Leah has never yet seen Big Red in the daylight, only a shadowy shape across the channel between Lake Makatawa and Lake Michigan.

While I was digging up some slides that I wanted to scan for a forthcoming Marine Photography spread in Great Laker magazine, I rand across this particular image of Big Red near sunset shot in the dune grasses to the south of the lighthouse. I was after the sunset "halo" the grasses in the foreground are showing and, now that I've found this image again, am quite happy with it.

Anyway, Leah, this one's for you :!:

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:58 am

I love finding old images that were passed over the first time. I'm trying to get around to doing a complete review of al my slides to see what I might have missed, and this is a perfect motivation. Great shot!
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:26 pm

Thanks, Hersh. Don't think I'll get through my image collection any time soon, at this point there are somewhere in the vicinity of about 150K lighthouse slides and digital images around here :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:48 pm

I love that shot, Gary ... everything about it ... thanks for sharing

Red, right? :wink:
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby beachbum1616 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:23 am

Nice find!!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Gary gave me a sneak preview of this photo, and I just love it! A whole different perspective from the usual shots.

Thanks for the dedication, Gary! It is muy appreciated. :D As is the gorgeous photo.
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses