|

Ft. Gratiot Lighthouse

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Grover1 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:59 am

From The Detroit Free Press ...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... /806150589

(Photo/Eric Seals)
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:27 pm

Ft Gratiot is just north of where the Lighthouse Huron is now a museum along the shore and also open to visitors.

Unfortunately, the Ft. Gratiot lighthouse wasn't open for tours the last time I was in that part of Michigan and I didn't get up that way last month when I was in Michigan for the opening of the photo exhibit at St Joseph. Maybe next time...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:54 am

My one trip there was one year past 9/11 and not only was there a head-high chain link fence surrounding it, it was locked soooooo tight ... there were no visitors allowed on property this day, or anyday soon after I would imagine.

There was some slight elevation to the left as yu appraoched it ... I was thinking how great some of the pre-digital pictures I took would have looked with that impressive bridge in the background a little down river from the light ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby NoahG » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:22 pm

I volunteer at this light, so I would like make this as clear as I can.

The lighthouse is OPEN every Friday through Monday, May 1 through October 1, from 11 am till 4 pm. We are only closed if it is rainy or too windy. Technically, its 5 pm, but we say 4pm so we are off the property by the Coast Guard's mandated 5pm time.

To climb the tower, you MUST MUST MUST wear CLOSED TOE shoes. I cannot stress that enough.

The article was wrong on admission. While the Port Huron Museum, Huron Lightship, Edison Depot Museum and the Bramble are all part of the charged admission package (4 museums for $7), the lighthouse is FREE. Because the light is still owned by the Coast Guard, we cannot charge admission, but we do encourage donations. :)

Just to clarify the City of Port Huron/The Port Huron Museum are currently bogged down in a years long transfer process. The Coast Guard still owns this light. The City has restoration and stabilization money at hand, as soon as transfer is completed, work will begin. Meanwhile, as the EPA mulls over wether or not the ground is contaminated, we are unable, actually, more like forbidden, without express written permission, to work on the light. Meanwhile, iron is rusting, bricks are spalling/falling, cracks are widening, and Bob, who has been the "keeper" of this light for over 20 years, and is one of the most passionate lighthouse preservationist I know, is becoming discouraged.

Again, we WANT you to come visit. When you come during "open hours", there is a blue/white yard sign in front of the gate that says something to the affect of "lighthouse tours" and open. The flagpole will be flying with an American flag, a USLHS pennant, and a POW/MIA flag. There are two gates, one leads to the modern CG facility, and the other is for the lighthouse. You want the gate in front of the old Garage, its a large wooden structure with four large grey doors. The CG mandates we must keep our gate closed, but if you park on the street and walk to the gate, we will let you in and give you the full treatment you came for.

Any questions? Clear as mud?
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby Biggy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:38 pm

I know I can be clear on something ... LOL ... I took this in November last year when I was in the Great Lakes region. And guess what I did? I went around the fenced area by the water and walked wherever I wanted for about 20 minutes :!: I guess, technically, I could have gotten into some serious trouble, but I figured, "Ah, what the heck? If I get tossed in jail, Melissa can get home from here ... maybe."

By the way, in case you didn't figure it out from the previous message, there was no open house going on that day. :lol: 8O
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:41 am

Well, looking back at some notes, I can tell you on October 21, 2002, at 328 PM, that parcel was locked down tight ... Dave, your story sounds a lot like my Stratford Point tale ... many rue that that gate is always locked ... the day I was there, it was open and I kind of strolled in and about ...

Noah, thanks for the good news about the open houses ... Hope the transfer takes place sooner rather than later ... When are you going on TV like Keeper and Ross?
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby NoahG » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:41 am

Hopefully I'll be able to catch one of you if you should happen to come by one of the weekends I'm up there. As for a TV appearance, sorry, but I don't have any timeline for that. :)
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses