|

June Lake Michigan vacation

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:42 am

My friend Gary Martin was kind enough to host some photos of my most recent Michigan family adventure for me so that I can share them with the group. Thanks, Gary!!!!!

After stopping off in St. Joe to visit Gary's exhibit at KRASL (most definitely worth the detour!!) we headed to South Haven for my first glimpse of the pier light there. She might be small, but she's weathered some terrific storms! On this day that wasn't necessary. Seas were just a bit rough because of the wind, but it was still a gorgeous day.

The following we we decided to head north to the Silver Lakes area and take a Mac Woods ride on the dunes! I can't remember when I've had so much fun! It was a cross between an amazing sightseeing tour and the best roller coaster ride I ever experienced! I can't wait to go back and do it again.

The little guy didn't want to get on the truck at first, but then didn't want to get off of it when the tour ended!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:52 am

And of course being so close to Little Sable, we had to make a stop there! What a beautiful tower and location. I fell in love all over again. My grandson Brandon was my first lighthouselover convert, but I think I have created another little lighthouse hugger.............

And then of course there is the original...........

What a fabulous day!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:18 am

An evening with Hersh is always memorable! And waiting for the sun to set over Big Red was no exception. The sunset might not have been spectacular, but it was a beautiful evening, and the clouds looked even better on film than they did in person.

We started off during daylight hours, and of course I had to photograph the photgrapher!! :lol:

And I'd like to share a few of my OTHER favorites with you! Including my very first reflection shot.

As the sun was setting, we headed toward the beach for some southern exposure....

This sunset over Lake Michigan shot is one of those that I just love the looks of the clouds. As I look through my photos and scratch my mosquito bites :lol: these are some of my favorites!

Mike, let's do this again sometime! But NEXT time one of us better bring the skeeter repellent! :mrgreen:
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:23 am

I really like that last shot you posted, I don't think I got one like that.

All my bites are now pretty much gone, but I still have the photos and memories. It was great being able to meet up with you, and we will definitely do it again the next time you're in town. And I think we'll both have plenty of repellent this time. :)
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:53 pm

Me thinks we both learned a valuable lesson............. :? :lol:

I think I took that one before we went down to the beach. I liked it too--thanks!

My photography is mainly just for myself, family and friends. I don't have the equipment or the resources for it to be otherwise! Every once in awhile I come up with something that's pretty decent for a point-and-shoot, and maybe some day I will be able to indulge a little more in something I love to do!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:02 pm

Aside from the skeeter bites you two collected, looks like you had fun at Holland and for you, Leah, fun all week! We did the Mac Woods dune ride a couple of years ago... what a hoot!
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:47 pm

One of these days I'll make it up for one of the dune rides, it sounds like a blast!

Oh, and thanks for shooting my good side when I wasn't looking..... #-o
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:35 am

Leah, thanks for sharing ... Im always happy when I get a Leah fix

I drove through the Silver Lake area in an October closed season, trying to imagine it alive and crowded on a summer day. The dune ride is also something I need to plan for the future ...

Thought the last two shots ... especially the cloud array in the very last one ... just great ... thanks for finding a way to get it up for us to see ...

Take care ... and head East soon
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:22 am

Thanks, Barry, I sure hope to! And the clouds definitely made that last shot.

Mike, I was going to make reference to that being your good side, but I refrained................ Thanks for giving me a second chance! :lol:

Gary, I'm more than ready to go back and do it all again! I've already been planning for next year.....
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:37 pm

I know what you mean about planning for next year, Leah. Next year I won't have to deal with a UPS photo disaster that took way more time away from doing things along the lake than I wanted to be sure!

I want to get out there to photograph again, but for me, I'd rather it were during the stormy season so I can burn up 5 or 10 thousand frames!!! I'd be in heaven with 20 footers crashing over any of the lights :mrgreen: I also want to get back up to the UP to photograph. I'd like to do another cruise on the Keweenaw Star and I'd also like to get out to Rock of Ages to photograph there at sunset some year....

So many lights, so little vacation.... :cry:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:11 pm

So many lights, so little vacation.... :(

You've certainly got THAT right, Gary!!!!! :?
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses