|

Fort Gratiot Light

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Grover1 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:27 am

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby epona » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:58 am

This fundraiser that is mentioned in the article is a good. That they having a the opportunity to get some grant money is also on track. I do hope the local people and or people who have a connection to this lighthouse make donations.
Last edited by epona on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LighthouseNews » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:39 am

New letter on the issue.

http://www.thetimesherald.com/article/2 ... 14/OPINION

Use Float Down to raise money for lighthouse
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby epona » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:22 pm

I like some of the ideas put forth. However a core group needs to examine line by by line what the costs vs what they would get money wise in return. In my opinion groups need to take a look at the bottom line first and then people power to do the bull work.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:33 pm

These folks missed the boat. They should have had Sen. Debbie Stabenow
add this funding to the BHO stimulus bill.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:01 pm

Gala planned ... from The Times Herald

http://www.thetimesherald.com/article/2 ... 5/90405004
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby epona » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:10 pm

I just read about what The Port Huron Museum Friends of Fort Gratiot Lighthouse for a fundraiser. Please read the article Barry so you can understand what I am about to post. I also read all of the comments posted by the people who live in this area.

1. The price of the event is 75.00 dollars. It is way too much money.
2. The group is having a brandy and cigar tent. I would not attend an event with a cigar tent.

With these two things you are going to turn away a number of people that would have attended.

I am not going to go post what I would think about doing. I do wonder what ideas others people on this board would do to raise monies.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:33 am

Carole ... Im sure my wife would be joining you as far away from the tent as possible. To me, though, its my thinking that the fundraisers are making the appeal to the "niche" who would respond to "brandy and cigars" I m believing you need to appeal to those you perceive to be able to help the most. Im sure, as someone posted afterwards, this is just the first of many attempts to raise dollars.
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby LighthouseNews » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:30 am

Well, I know I certainly wouldn't attend, and not just because of the cost, which is way too high. I don't drink and I certainly have no interest in cigars.

I too am hoping that the Friends and Museum come up with some better fundraising ideas, and that this is only the first of many. Now that it looks like the city is back on track with accepting the deed, they really need to plan long term for the monies to fix the light.

I'll be curious to see just how many (or few) people they get to attend this fundraiser. It is Port Huron, for pity's sake, and not Bloomfield Hills.

Carole, I'd be interested in seeing what you would do for fundraising. Perhaps they ought to take a look at what the Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse is doing next month: Pizza and Irish music. And only $20. That sounds like way more fun, especially since it costs me $20 for pizza from our local shop. Of course, being Port Huron, perhaps pizza, beer and polka music would be more in touch. :)

(Don't flame me! I'm from Michigan and understand these things! 8) )
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby epona » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:42 pm

Sue, I like your ideas. Yes, the FPHL with pizza and Irish music sounds like fun. I cannot eat Pizza or might go to an event like this.

Carole
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Terry_Pepper » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:28 pm

Fund raising is a never ending process. It matters not where a start is made -what matters is that a start IS made, and the momentum kept going over the long haul.

Any good salesman will tell you that understanding the needs of your audience is golden.

While pure math indicates that 20 people paying $75.00 a head will provide the same return as 75 people at $20 a head, math alone does not take into consideration the real net impact such an event can have. The folks who are attracted by brandy and cigars and can cough-up $75.00 to get through the door are almost certainly more likely to open their checkbooks to write a sizable donation check at the event than is the pizza crowd.

The Museum likely has a good handle on what it takes to attract their big money angels, and have put considerable thought into putting this together to attract a specific target audience. No doubt about it, while the streets of Port Huron are far from being paved with gold, there are some well-heeled folks in the area, and were I a gambling man, I'd bet many of them are long-term Museum angels.

Pizza, music, cars washes, bbq's, car rallies, bricks sales (both those with donor names imprinted and those removed from the crumbling tower,) auctions, raffles, chocolate bar sales, etc., etc. will all have their time and place. But the planned event just might be a canny kickoff.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:20 am

Terry_Pepper wrote:Fund raising is a never ending process. It matters not where a start is made -what matters is that a start IS made, and the momentum kept going over the long haul.

Any good salesman will tell you that understanding the needs of your audience is golden.

Can't disagree with the above, but I will add that judging by the comments on the news site, there needs to be an appeal to the common person to get behind the lighthouse (and other building) restoration.
Terry_Pepper wrote:While pure math indicates that 20 people paying $75.00 a head will provide the same return as 75 people at $20 a head, math alone does not take into consideration the real net impact such an event can have. The folks who are attracted by brandy and cigars and can cough-up $75.00 to get through the door are almost certainly more likely to open their checkbooks to write a sizable donation check at the event than is the pizza crowd.
The Museum likely has a good handle on what it takes to attract their big money angels, and have put considerable thought into putting this together to attract a specific target audience. No doubt about it, while the streets of Port Huron are far from being paved with gold, there are some well-heeled folks in the area, and were I a gambling man, I'd bet many of them are long-term Museum angels.

Perhaps. But these probably would already be museum supporters. As we both know, there needs to be a general support among the townspeople. And an exclusive benefit, while it may be okay for a kickoff, will probably engender some ill-will. Just my opinion, though. Not to mention the problem of this "brandy and cigar" focus. Not politically correct at this time.
Terry_Pepper wrote:Pizza, music, cars washes, bbq's, car rallies, bricks sales (both those with donor names imprinted and those removed from the crumbling tower,) auctions, raffles, chocolate bar sales, etc., etc. will all have their time and place. But the planned event just might be a canny kickoff.

Chocolate bar sales? Yum. :D

I certainly hope so. But still, that brandy and cigar emphasis just strikes me as wrong. It's an implication you have to be elite to support the lighthouse and buildings. And at the very least, just not something I see as appropriate.

As before, this is just my opinion, and I think you know how much I support their efforts. I just hope the next fundraiser is geared more to a family type event.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby epona » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:04 pm

Sue, you have it right in my book. Right now you want to make events of most types fun. Affordable and upbeat so that you get a wide range of people coming to your funraiser or fundraiser. Some grantors look at the numbers of people who give, not just the amount that has been given by individual people.

Also what I see is the sos being done over and over again. You need to get and be creative these days.

You are selling a product and you need to have people walk away with one or two memories. I had a great time at this event. In an email or whatever you tell people what a great time you had.

Do people see what I am attempting to say here!!! Some on you creative folks lets hear from you might want.

Carole
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Terry_Pepper » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:58 pm

Perhaps I was wrong on the chocolate bar sales - the government will probably ban them soon due to their being unhealthy.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:20 pm

Terry_Pepper wrote:Perhaps I was wrong on the chocolate bar sales - the government will probably ban them soon due to their being unhealthy.

Oh sure. The one I was really looking forward to. Wouldn't you know it? :lol:
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses