|

Sunsets at St Joe

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:39 pm

I got started going through my slide files looking for a specific image to fill an order for a client of Waterfront Framing and Fine Art who I've supplied prints to for many years. While I was digging in the slide files for St Joe, I decided to scan some images that I've never scanned before and to do some printing. That said, it only seems appropriate to share a few of the slides I've selected to scan here.

Shooting St Joe at sunset in September is one of my favorite times to shoot those lights. At that time of year, it's fairly easy to position yourself to shoot as the sun sinks between the inner and outer light as it dips into the waters of Lake Michigan.

The image was shot on Fuji Velvia professional slide film, which I still prefer to use for my low light photography. It was interesting to note that the color of the sinking orange ball of the sun on the waters of the lake was only only one slide. The slides shot immediately before and after this one showed only the barest traces of color on the water. The timing differed by no more than +/- about 2 min in case you're wondering.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:45 pm

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:03 pm

Garry, there is just something about film shots that you don't get with digital. There's something about the quality of the photo and it's hard to describe. A sort of warmth for want of a better description.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:20 pm

Kevin, I have to agree with you. I've got professional DSLR's and a couple of Nikon F5's. I still use the F5's almost exclusively for my low light photography. Being able to go to an ISO setting of 25,600 isn't going to replace film as far as I'm concerned.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses