|

Lights never built??

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby NoahG » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:15 pm

This is more a question for Terry and the like, but I was wondering lately if there were even any lights suggested, planned or even appropriated for that were never built. Either a new site was chosen, plans were changed, or money just never became available.
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby Weasel58 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:43 pm

Noah,
Yes there were numerous lighthouses that were proposed but not built due to various reasons. One I know of was a caisson lighthouse on Diamond Shoals off Cape Hatteras. They got as far as trying to set the caisson, but the currents kept digging the sand out from under it. Here is a link to the Lighthouse Digest's article on the attempt. http://www.lighthousedepot.com/lite_dig ... le&sk=0744

I know you asked in the Great Lakes lighthouses section, but Diamond Shoals is the one I could remember off the top of my head.
Eric Sharp
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby NoahG » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:57 pm

Right, I was asking pertaining to Great Lakes lights, but you are right, there are certainly more than just Great Lakes sites.

Perhaps this would do better in the general section?
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby alchunb » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:14 pm

In the Keweenaw Peninsula of the great state of Upper Michigan, there was a request for a lighthouse at Agate Harbour (sic). It would have been between Copper Harbor and Eagle Harbor. Also, there was a request for a lighthouse near Middle Island Point, just west of Presque Isle, Marquette. I'm sure there are tons more.
alchunb
Visitor

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses