|

MI Lights helped by License Plate Fund

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby LighthouseNews » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:08 pm

Four Historic Michigan Lighthouses Receive Nearly $80,000 in Aid from "Save Our Lights" License Plate Fund

http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0,1607,7-16 ... --,00.html
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby island » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:10 pm

This program began in 2000. In 2006 the award was $233,000 and $985,000 as of that year. $80,000 this year. Seems to be diminishing. Hmmmm. Perhaps potential applicants are having trouble raising matching funds.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Terry_Pepper » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:07 pm

Actually, I believe that the number of lighthouse license plates being sold is decreasing, and thus the size of the pot from which the grants are made is getting diminishing commensurately.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby epona » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:32 am

From the posted article the first year you get or buy the license plate the fee is 35 dollars.
It then goes down to 10 dollars in the subsequent years.
So we have a decrease of 25 dollars a year going into the fund per year.

It would seem that first year or two is when most people buy these types of license plates.
Last edited by epona on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:17 am

I note in Michigan this license lighthouse plate is one of about two dozen special interest fund-raising plates. The more options that are offered for competing special interests the greater the reduction of potential fund raising revenue from each. In Michigan for example you have a choice to support the Children's Trust Fund or Lighthouse Preservation.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1585_1595_9026---,00.html
The Department of State offers fundraising license plates for Michigan's 15 state-supported universities and the following special causes: agricultural heritage, Children's Trust Fund, lighthouse preservation, veterans memorial, water quality, wildlife habitat, the Northern Michigan University Olympic Education Center and disaster relief through the American Red Cross and Salvation Army with the Proud To Be American plate and helping military personnel and their families through the Support Our Troops plate.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby NoahG » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:34 am

Is it just me, or does it seem foolish to distribute grants based upon program income per year? Wouldn't it have been wiser to set up a long term fund where a set amount is distributed each year so the program can continue to help even as initial sales and renewals diminish?
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby ericlighthouse » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:37 pm

Noah, not a bad idea, however, consider how many lighthouses need help now. The longer you wait for repairs the more expensive they get. With erosion waiting could cause the lighthouse to fall....like Cape St. George.

In Florida the tags charge the same fee ever year.

Once people switch to the tag is seems the majority stay with it....of course some people move to another state, others die or stop driving.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:59 pm

Charlevoix receives ... From The Charlevoix Courier

http://www.charlevoixcourier.com/articl ... 864196.txt
Last edited by Grover1 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby epona » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:52 am

Eric, I agree with what you stated about keeping the price of the license plates the same from the first year on. I have not checked out how Maine does this.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:41 am

epona wrote:Eric, I agree with what you stated about keeping the price of the license plates the same from the first year on. I have not checked out how Maine does this.

I have a Maine lobster plate. It's the same price every year...an extra $25. Unfortunately, Maine does not have a lighthouse plate, although there was one proposed and ready to go several years ago.

Michigan ought to do the same, as in the same price every year.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby island » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:30 am

Maine does not have such a plate. If it was proprosed there would be a long battle as to what lighthouse to have on the plate.

When Maine issued the chickadee plate it had a nice rendition of a Carolina chickadee, not a Maine black-capped chicadee.

And then there was a two-mast Baltimore clipper on the Maine State proof coins, not the three-mast Victory Chimes as intended but the VC is also not a Maine ship.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:42 am

There was a lighthouse license plate proposed several years ago, when the chickadee plate was chosen. The plate was all ready to go (with a rendition of the West Quoddy Lighthouse, I believe). But it was before there were what seems like 9,000 different plate styles and it was killed in the senate. But it was up against the chickadee plate. Story at Lighthouse Digest:
http://www.lighthousedepot.com/lite_dig ... 1238683745

The process has changed now, but it costs quite a bit of money to get a new specialty plate off the ground.

And the Victory Chimes was changed on the quarter after protests. :)

Re: the chickadee plate. I hate it anyway. ;)

But then I wonder about the Maine agricultural plate...as in what agriculture??? Rocks?? Coming from a heavily agricultural area of the country, I have to laugh.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby island » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:24 am

The chickadee is the Maine state bird. It has a unique personality. It is a native and not a tourist bird like a robin the state bird of another state :P that spends all its times eating worms. #-o

Rocks do grow in Maine. They grow in the winter. You clear rocks from the field and garden each spring before planting. Come next spring :? , more rocks!

Why would anyone want a dead smelly lobster on their licence plate? 8O

And the Victory Chimes, formerly Edwin And Maud, was built for and served to haul cargo in Chesapeake Bay. It was designed to pass through locks in that region, an oversize canal barge with masts and sail. When it eventually came to Maine to entertain tourists it was renamed for a Canadian coastal schooner that one time often sailed the Maine coast.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:54 pm

island wrote:The chickadee is the Maine state bird. It has a unique personality. It is a native and not a tourist bird like a robin the state bird of another state :P that spends all its times eating worms. #-o

The black-capped chickadee is native to many states...it's not only a Maine bird. And that state with the introduced robin? Well, I recall many a time it was attempted to be replaced by a native (and exclusive) bird, the Kirtland's Warbler, but somehow managed to stay on top. I guess the early bird does get the worm. Or something. :-s

island wrote:And the Victory Chimes, formerly Edwin And Maud, was built for and served to haul cargo in Chesapeake Bay. It was designed to pass through locks in that region, an oversize canal barge with masts and sail. When it eventually came to Maine to entertain tourists it was renamed for a Canadian coastal schooner that one time often sailed the Maine coast.

From Lynn Seldon's site on Victory Chimes:
In 1945, the Edwin & Maud was converted into a cruise ship and carried passengers on weekly Chesapeake Bay excursions out of her Annapolis home port. She sailed successfully until the owner retired in 1954. The ship was then purchased by Captain Frederick B. Guild, who brought her to his home in Castine, Maine, and set to work--the hull was scraped, caulked, and painted; new decking material was installed; new sails and rigging were purchased; new staterooms were built; and new water tanks and a 32-volt lighting system were installed. When she was ready to sail again, Captain Gould christened her Victory Chimes, after a Canadian coastal schooner that once sailed Downeast and Maritime waters.

From the mid-1950s until the mid-1980s, the Victory Chimes proudly sailed as the only three-masted schooner in Maine's windjammer fleet. It was just a hint of things to come, however, because Captain Guild retired and the ship was sold and moved to the Great Lakes (Michigan to be specific - home of Domino's Pizza). She was sold again soon thereafter to Domino's Pizza, with a planned use for employee functions.

Domino's decided on an extensive restoration and a young Maine seafarer, Kip Files, was hired to supervise the $1.5 million overhaul. She was christened the Domino Effect and, though Domino's Pizza would get little use out of the ship, the company's resources definitely saved the ship.

In 1990, in a corporate downsizing move, Domino's decided to sell the vessel. A group from Japan proposed to buy the vessel and ship it overseas and 15 miles inland, to become a restaurant on a fresh water lake. But with a last-minute bid and in a strange twist, Kip and his boss at Domino's, Paul DeGaeta, were able to buy the vessel and return her to the Maine coast.

I still wish Maine would offer a lighthouse plate, but I believe any group wanting a specialty plate has to be able to prove $40,000 in sales, with presales. With the economy in the dumps, I doubt that would happen.

The Secretary of State may not manufacture an authorized specialty plate unless the sponsor pays in advance for the manufacture of at least 2,000 pairs of the specialty plate and provides a list with 2,000 names, signatures and current plate numbers of supporters who intend to purchase the specialty license plate. A payment of $40,000 for 2,000 pairs of plates at $20 per pair must be deposited in the Specialty License Plate Fund established under section 469. The Secretary of State shall provide one $20 credit to purchase a pair of specialty license plates for each name and signature provided.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby epona » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:22 pm

Is it me or why in Heck was a ship the Edwin and Maud that was built and used in Maryland picked to be on the Maine State Quarter. With what little knowledge I have could not another ship been chosen. In fact why was ship picked to be on the quarter?
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Next

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses