|

MI Lights helped by License Plate Fund

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby island » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:43 pm

There are Maine built vessels in the windjammer fleet including the Mary Day and the Heritage. The oldest Maine built windjammer is the Mercantile (1916) and has always sailed Maine waters except for a two year leave of absence when it went to Rhode Island (1943-45). Capt. Jim Swift of Camden found her there in bad shape and brought her back to Maine to begin a new career.

Pearl Billings had been considering the name Mercantile; seeing the word lettered on a bank window convinced him of its suitability. Since Captain Billings considered an odd number of letters unlucky, the ten letters of the world Mercantile were an additional asset. Perhaps the ten letters would not guarantee good luck, but they would avoid bad luck.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LighthouseNews » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:16 am

epona wrote:Is it me or why in Heck was a ship the Edwin and Maud that was built and used in Maryland picked to be on the Maine State Quarter. With what little knowledge I have could not another ship been chosen. In fact why was ship picked to be on the quarter?

It wasn't the ship, it was the design. The artist who came up with the design doesn't even live in Maine. The design was one of several that were submitted, and it was the one chosen by online (and postcard) voting.

The quarter was supposed to represent Maine, and it really doesn't matter where the ship was built.

Pearl Billings had been considering the name Mercantile; seeing the word lettered on a bank window convinced him of its suitability. Since Captain Billings considered an odd number of letters unlucky, the ten letters of the world Mercantile were an additional asset. Perhaps the ten letters would not guarantee good luck, but they would avoid bad luck.

P.S. to island:

I thought it was considered bad luck to even rename a boat. So in that case, ten or eleven letters wouldn't help at all. :)
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby island » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:41 am

To avoid future bad luck from renaming a boat one must carefully follow the proper steps, first for denaming and then for renaming. Skip one step :? and you can expect the worst :( even if the boat remains out on land away from the water. 8O http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LighthouseNews » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:44 am

:yay: island, I love that!!! :yay:

I have bookmarked it and saved it. I never knew there was such an intricate ceremony. If more people knew of it, just think how many boating disasters could have been averted! :wink:
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby island » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:47 am

The July 2003 Lighthouse Digest contains the article about the Official Ceremony of the Release of the Maine State Lighthouse Quarter. Take a close look at ship on the coin in the cover photo. 8O http://www.lighthousedepot.com/lite_explorer.asp?action=display_photo_details&pk=4274

When naming or renaming a boat, take time to think ahead. There was a lobsterman who named his boat for his son Johnathan. Than a daughter was born. Now the boat was renamed the Johnathan and Alice-Elizabeth. This was followed by twin daughters, Lorrie-Anne and Margaret-Anne. The boat was again renamed. And along came another son named Issac so once again he renamed his boat. Then yet another son was born. But now there was a big problem! He had run out of space on the stern of his boat so they named the last child Mo. If the last birth had been twins he would have had to sold his boat.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Previous

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses