|

Lights Along Lake Huron

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Grover1 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:06 am

I did this trip in 2002 ... at the time it was a quantity / quality thing ... it was terrible weather (amzingly, except for the long walk to Big Sable) and 3+ days to go from Detroit around to Michigan City ... I need to go back and do it liesurely.

From The Columbus Dispatach ... http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/co ... ml?sid=101

(Photo/Steve Stephens)
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby clm1950 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:36 am

Some of my favorite lights are on the Great Lakes. My daughter and I drove around Lake Michigan the summer of 2003, beginning in Chicago and ending in Michigan City. It took a week and we still didn't see all of the lights. It was a wonderful drive.

The summer of 2005, we spent a week in Mackinaw City and did day trips along the U.S. Side of Lake Huron. We also did a Lighthouse Boat Tour from Mackinaw to visit the Lake Huron Lights. Very enjoyable.
clm1950
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Weasel58 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:35 pm

Some really great sights along the shores of Michigan. I flew into Chicago back in 05 and went south around the bottom of lake Michigan. Went up to Mackinaw and saw the lights of northern Lake Huron and went west out to White Shoal and Waugoshance. Then down the Huron Side to Port Huron. One of the best lighthouse trips I ever went on. The next year I flew into Green Bay and went up the shore into the UP and saw all the lights on the UP except 14 mile pt. Another great lighthouse trip. Michigan and the surrounding areas are a lighthouse lovers paradise.
Eric Sharp
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:19 pm

Hersh and I have been to 14 Mile Point, Eric. Getting there is still a long walk along the very rocky shore of Lake Superior [b]AFTER{/b} you have to get off of the ATV :!: It was worth it, there are some photos of 14 Mile Point on my website shot from both the water on a trip on the Keweenaw Star a few years ago and from the shore when Hersh and I were there.

http://www.coastalbeacons.com/greatlake ... _Ruins.htm

Since I've grumbled about people not posting photos, although I don't have any of those photos on my laptop I'll try to get around to posting one or two from the PC that I use for photography later on.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Weasel58 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:37 am

Yeah, I was thinking about taking the hike out there a couple of years ago. One of the lighthouse nuts I know from the FLA wanted to walk out there also so we were going to meet up, and do the hike together. We never could agree on a time. I hope to make it someday. What I would love to do is go out on a snowmobile. I remember someone who posts on here used to have some photos of doing that
Eric Sharp
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby Blacktphoto » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:17 am

I am loading up the missus and our three wiener dogs and heading out there next month. We are going to have from Sunday 5/17 until Labor Day to see as much of the LP and UP as possible. This will be our first visit to the Huron side of the state, and we’re also going to attempt the Keweenaw Peninsula on this outing.

Three guesses what Light I would like to see the most but won’t be able to visit :cry: ? I would sooo love to shoot 14 Mile Point. Can’t believe I’m going to be that close but won’t be able to pull it off…RATS ](*,)!
Blacktphoto
1st Assistant Keeper

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses