|

PETA sets its sights on Kewaunee

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:58 pm

Terry, I'm still laughing at the visual of you doing the hippie wannabe impression. :D

I have no doubt in the days to come they will announce their quest for the rest. And they are getting the publicity they want. :roll:

My only hope that with this publicity they make people aware of the need to save these lighthouses, especially from the likes of their group. #-o

And you might want to view this YouTube video, "A Tree Responds to Treehuggers." I guarantee you'll love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIULIJxVr7A
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:06 pm

That's awesome Sue.

Man, I can't stand hippies... :x
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:32 pm

Mike,

We think of them as Granola Heads. Sometimes as Moonbats. We seem to have an awful lot of them here in the Northeast. In fact I'd say we rival California in the amount. 8O
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:06 am

... PETA has made it back to the East Coast ... from The Philadelphia Inquirer

PETA seeks N.J. lighthouse to protest fishing

BAYONNE, N.J. - An animal-rights group wants to use a Hudson County lighthouse and two others in Michigan to publicize what it says are the horrors of killing fish for food and sport.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals says it wants to use the Robbins Reef Lighthouse in Bayonne as national headquarters for its "Fish Empathy Project."

PETA sent a letter yesterday to the acting director of the National Park Service notifying him of its bid to take over the lighthouse under terms of the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act. The other lighthouses are on Lake Michigan in Grand Haven, Mich.

PETA, based in Norfolk, Va., said its plan calls for educational displays and a cafe serving items such as mock fish sticks. - AP
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:07 am

You know, there is a school of thought that holds that ALL objects have life, basied on the fact that everything in the universe above absoulte zero has molecular activity -- so going with this line of thinking, you may be right about the "living rocks" --- But that also means that LIGHTHOUSES are also living entities, and are deserving of protection against neglect, assault, rape, and even murder (RED-RUM !!)...............

Now, don't get me wrong, I like having dead cow (It's what's for dinner), dead pig (The other white meat), Star-Kiss (Sorry, Charlie), and all of their friends, over for dinner....or lunch...or just for a fun snack now and then.............

And, yes, I believe in their ethical treatment --- right up to the moment they wind up on my plate --- and you can be sure I eat them with RESPECT...........

Perhaps we should just stop fooling around with trying to save Lighthouses, and form a new national group -- People for the Respectful and Ethical Treatment of Lights and Lighthouses ---
(or P.R.E.T.L.L.) --- and hold a few press conferences, do some publicity, hold a few rallies, get some air time on the national networks, take the evil-doers to civil court, charge them with abandonment and neglect of historic structures, win a big settlement............

Hey, It COULD work..................
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:01 am

Editorial on the Grand Haven plan ... from The Muskegon Chronicle

http://www.mlive.com/opinion/muskegon/i ... polit.html
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:01 pm

It would be nice if PETA got their acronym changed...
PITA is just so much more appropriate for what they've become insofar as lighthouses are concerned...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby jaymatt1978 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:36 am

After some research and a few phone calls, I found the e-mail address of the person spearheading this "project". Her name is Lindsay and her addreess is:lindsayr@peta.org . While I don't usually post other people's e-mails without their permissio-n, I think t his is a good exception. I remind members of thisz list to be POLITE and not disagree with their objectivee of saving the fish. I would simply state that we, as lighthouse enthusiasts, are deeply concerned that PETA will neglect the lighthouse. Please also cc: me on all corrspondence. My e-mail is:kc2gik@justinmattes.com
jaymatt1978
Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:17 am

One man's opinion ... From The Green Bay Pess Gazette

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/art ... lighthouse
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:42 am

These people are definitely watching too much Sponge Bob Squarepants.....

"Biologists have found that fish develop relationships with other fish and show affection by gently rubbing against one another. Fish have individual personalities, talk to each other, and grieve when their companions die. Some fish are capable of using tools, while others gather information by eavesdropping."

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Terry_Pepper » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:03 am

Statistically speaking, if you placed enough fish in front of enough keyboards, one of them would eventually write a coherent sentence. Now, if some whitefish would just bring his tool bag over to my place, maybe he could fix the problem with my garage door opener.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby Grover1 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:47 am

Terry ... as it is Sunday morning, on the way to your place, Im thinking those whitefish maybe should take themselves on a route that doesnt pass a delicatessen ... should they, Im thinking you are going to need a much larger sample to get that coherent sentence or that repaired garage door opener ... :wink:
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby LighthouseNews » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:16 pm

Grover1 wrote:Terry ... as it is Sunday morning, on the way to your place, Im thinking those whitefish maybe should take themselves on a route that doesnt pass a delicatessen ... should they, Im thinking you are going to need a much larger sample to get that coherent sentence or that repaired garage door opener ... :wink:

Well, they won't even get as far as that deli if I had my way (do they have delis in Mackinaw City? :? ). They'd have to escape my greedy little hands (yes I once caught a fish bare handed, so what if it was a little bluegill :wink: ) as I have a hankering for some broiled whitefish.

I wish everyone would stop pushing that PETA stuff. Even Lighthouse Digest had it in its latest issue. All it does is give them publicity. :roll: :roll:
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Terry_Pepper » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:50 pm

They get exactly what they are seeking. They file letters of interest for virtually all NHLPA listed lights and simultaneously send out a press release informing the world that they have done so.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:11 pm

“Some fish are capable of using tools, while others gather information by eavesdropping."

Let's not forget, they also play games......
Attachments
LARGEST BOWL.jpg
Intellgent Fish Games
LARGEST BOWL.jpg (194.42 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Previous

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses