|

14 Mile Point

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Zachary » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks for the pictures....I believe the integrity of the structure is fairly good due to the fact that the walls are so thick and heavy, if I had to guess I'd say the building's weight is keeping the bricks together....it's a good thing it's not in hurricane country or it would be gone for sure.
Any pictures of the interior of the tower? I understand that the old metal staircase from the watchroom is still hanging from there while the rest of the wooden stairs were burned away in the fire....all I have is a somewhat fuzzy picture though
Zachary
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:14 am

When I was there, 2004, Someone had built a wooden landing between the 1st & 2nd floor in the tower, making it not possible to see up the tower.....So I didn't get to see the hanging staircase....Not having my portable Inspector Gadget Extenda-Ladder, and being out there all by my lonesome, I didn't feel it was worth the risk if I were to fall attempting to find a way to climb up there.....

You're on up on me --I've never seen pics of the hanging ladder, fuzzy or otherwise...... :(
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Zachary » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:16 pm

Well here ya go! I can't remember where it came from....

Zachary
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:57 pm

Thanks, Zachary, that's Wild looking....The landing, I recall, was constructed of 2x6s (2x8s?), and what appeared to be plywood for the flooring.....It was the only attempt at repair to the structure that I saw.....Terry was out there a couple of times after me ('04 & '05), and maybe he has a more accurate description....The whole of the tower was blocked, no opening in the flooring, so the access would have to be gotten from the two doorways in the back that you can see in the picture....But I had no way up there....

I haven't heard of anyone else on here who has been out there since 2005, or if anything else has been done to 14 Mile Point since then....Or if anyone has done a structural analysis of the Keeper's Quarters portion of the light to see if it could be repaired enough to support rebuilding of the flooring and roof.....What I think would take a multi-million dollar effort.....
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Previous

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses