|

Looking For Lost Ohio Lights

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby CHUCKX53 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:10 am

For some time now, I've been trying to determine the fate of 2 Ohio Breakwall lights -- The Sandusky Harbor Pierhead Light and The Cleveland East Entrance Light --- Both were box-type lights, set on 20-foot skeletal frames, one with a small walk-about railing --- Both of these lights were removed about 1995 or after and replaced with D-9 Cylinders.........

I have been told that these lights were most likley dismantled, but have never read anything difinitive on their fate -- In fact, I have only one picture of each to go by -- I assume that at one time both had lantern rooms on them...........

I'm hoping that they might have been given to someone such as the Manhatten Range Lights and one of the Rochester West Pier Lights were --- Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.....

Can anyone give me a lead on these 2 lights ? If So, Thanks..................
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby ericlighthouse » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:13 pm

You didn't say which lighthouse you had a picture of.

Check Lighthouse Directory website, it has several links to other sites including USCG pictures.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby LighthouseNews » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:39 pm

Cleveland East Pierhead Light:

CLEVELAND HARBOR ENTRANCE/LAKE ERIE
Station Established: 1831
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1911
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1965; East Pierhead: 1959
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: CAST IRON/BRICK/WOOD
Tower Shape: CONICAL
No Coast Guard info available.
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL; East Pierhead: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1911

Sandusky Pierhead Light:
From Kraig's site:
http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=660

From the description of the light at the above site, I doubt anything was done with it after dismantling. Other than going to a local scrap yard, that is.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:36 am

Both these lights were in Penrose's 1994 edition of "Traveler's Guide to 100 Eastern Great Lakes Lighthouses" on pages 11 & 19 -- Sue's second shot is the Sanduskey one -- Both of these were "painted" White in these photos (Though they looked prettry bad)..........

Side notes to Noah -- Not only Calumet, but Indiana Harbor -- What a waste......
When I asked Wayne several years ago if he was planning to do the other lakes, his anser was, "If I Live Long Enough" :lol:
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby NoahG » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:40 am

I think Indiana Harbor was in the 80's, but yes, same idea.

Wayne told me that he had all the information for the rest of the series, but it was finding the time (and likely the effort) to do another one.
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses