|

Kenosha North Pierhead - For Sale Soon?!?!?!

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby NoahG » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:27 am

I've been catching up with the June issue of Lighthouse Digest. On page 27, there is a GSA ad for the Easty Charity Shoals auction. In the bottom corner of the ad, it states "COMING SOON FOR SALE Kenosha North Pierhead Light". This surprises me, as surely I would have thought that the current preservation group working on the other lighthouse in town would have applied for ownership. I guess not. Does anyone have more information on this?
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby LighthouseNews » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:17 am

Looks like the city owns the other Kenosha Lighthouse. A shame no one wanted the Pierhead light, it's very pretty. I'd have figured the Latimer Reef Lighthouse would be next, since it was almost a guarantee a non-profit would have wanted an offshore light. Wonder how many of the others from last year are going up for auction this year? Think I'll see if I can get info from GSA contact.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby NoahG » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:47 am

https://extportal.pbs.gsa.gov/ResourceC ... ropId=5345

Link to the auction, no dates posted yet.

I'm still surprised the City didn't try for it. I know times are tough and all, but with one light already in their hands, and this one so close, as well as being one of the "easier" to care for lights, it just seems like a lost opportunity. (However, certainly no light is easy to care for by otherwise "standard" means)

Oh, and in addition, Coming Soon, Fairport Harbor West Breakwater.
https://extportal.pbs.gsa.gov:443/Resou ... ropId=6978
Of the Great Lakes Lights sold at auction so far, I'd say this one provides the most realistic "live-in" opportunities.
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses