|

Lighthouses in the Greater Rochester (NY) Area

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Grover1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:42 pm

From The Democrat and Chronicle

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... e+and+lore

(Sodus Point / File Photo)
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:28 pm

Two Comments on this story -----

Selkirk Lighthouse
Since this lighthouse at Salmon River Lighthouse Marina in Oswego County was deactivated in 1859, it is one of only three in the U.S. with an original birdcage lantern, a hexagonal dome of glass and iron on top of the house, as opposed to being a separate tower.

A Birdcage Lantern does not mean that It has to sit atop a house, since the other two existing Birdcages in the Great Lakes are on towers (Waugoshance & Bailey's Harbor).....

Braddock Point Lighthouse
Although this privately owned structure in Hilton is currently not open to the public, owners Don and Nancy Town hope to open it as a bed and breakfast by next summer.
The Towns purchased the property last year after finding it listed online on their wedding anniversary, and they've been busy with renovations ever since.
The Towns are offering invitation-only tours of the lighthouse this summer. "It is a unique, beautiful property. It is one of the very few working lighthouses in existence that's privately owned," Don Town says.

It's nice to hear of an update for Braddock Point Light -- We have only heard once from Don Town, who posted on this topic under the "Braddock Point Lighthouse" thread.....

Our intentions are to open this up from time to time to interested parties that enjoy lighthouses as much as we do. We also have permitting in place to operate a small Bed and Breakfast. In fact, we own a very nice BnB in Central Florida.
We are most interested in collecting any history regarding this "survivor" so that we can document the fascinating history of this beautiful lighthouse. We look forward to opening our doors soon to the readers of this post- Don and Nandy Town
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:49 pm

From December past ...

Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:32 am

That's a pertty neat shot of Old Sodus there, Barry....Never been to Lake Ontario in the winter....
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks, Chuck ... I was pretty down near the end of last year ... I had a few vacation days left ... had the use them or lose them ... and decided I needed to see some "snow" lights. For sure, NOT around the corner from the New Jersey shore, but with the queen working, time didnt really matter ...

This was taken during a snow squall from the beach near the pier that reaches out to the "new" light. Humbly, what I really liked about this one was the gazillion and one shades of gray and just the matted, muted color from the lantern ...

While I would need to go back and double check, Im pretty sure this is right out of the camera ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses