|

Wardius, Penrose & Pepper

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Grover1 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:54 pm

Terry ... I looked both ways and whichever way I land, by sundown Thursday
I would have an approximate 8 hour drive back to Ohare ... the flight home is
Friday 920 pm which means I need to be at the terminal no later than 8pm. I
am anticipating driving a couple hours after dark Thursday and the rest Friday ...

I lleft my notes at work, but, from memory, here would be a rough first look ... I
apologize if I get a name wrong ...

It would appear I could get to Milwaukee nightfall Monday ... if fortunate, Green
Bay after Door for Tuesday night ... that's how I figure on Escanaba noonish on
Wednesday

From Escanaba it appears I could head north to Marquette, west to Jacobsville,
over to Ontonagon, and then play on the peninsula for as much time as I had over
the day and a half ... that leaves that 8 hour drive

From Escanaba I coud also, for that day and a half, head east towards Manistique
and Seul Choix, then north to Au Sable, Crisp Point, Whitefish Point and Point Iriquois.
That again appears to leave that 8 hour drive back.

Could either of these strays be accomplished in a day and a half? Not a clue ...

Right now, with no real feel for the area, I see mileages and suggested times in GOOGLE ...
but I don't see roads and speed limits ... I am cautious when driving local, tend to have a
heavy foot on the interstate ... My only time constraint is the flight home and I wont be
rushed to "get to the next light" I will get done what I get done knowing my list will be
ambitious but not engraved ... conversely, I just dont want to be heading east if west
is best .. or vice-versa
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Terry_Pepper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:06 pm

OK - This may seem like a stratch, but from personal experience I can report it IS do-able, and will give you the opportunity to put seventeen more notches in your belt - some of them dare I say "iconic" :lol:

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 21
1200 Arrive Escanaba - photograph Sand Point and Escanaba Crib lights
1300 Leave Escanaba – drive to Manistique
1500 Arrive Manistique Pierhead light
1530 Depart Manistique – drive to Seul Choix lighthouse
1600 Arrive Seul Choix Pointe ligthouse
1700 Depart Seul Choix – drive to McGulpin Point lighthouse
1830 Arrive McGulpin Point lighthouse (sunset at 1842)
1900 Depart McGulpin Point lighthouse
1915 Arrive Mackinaw City – spend the night in Mackinaw City

THURSDAY OCTOBER 22
0800 Photograph Old Mackinac Point lighthouse (sunrise 0805)
0830 Depart Mackinaw City – Drive to Cheboygan
0900 Arrive Cheboygan – photograph Cheboygan River Front Range and Cheboygan Crib lights (I will be happy to meet you and open both these lighthouses for you)
1000 Depart Cheboygan – drive to Rogers City
1200 Arrive Forty Mile Point lighthouse
1130 Depart Rogers City – Drive to Presque Isle
1215 Arrive Presque Isle – photograph Presque Isle New, Presque Isle Old & Presque Isle Range lights
1315 depart Presque Isle – drive to Sturgeon Point
1445 Arrive Sturgeon Point lighthouse
1530 Depart Sturgeon Point lighthouse – drive to Tawas Point lighthouse
1630 Arrive Tawas Point lighthouse
1730 Depart Tawas Point lighthouse – drive to Holland
2130 Arrive Holland – stay the night

FRIDAY OCTOBER 23
0800 Photograph Holland Harbor lighthouse
0900 Depart Holland Harbor lighthouse – Drive to South Haven
0945 Arrive South Haven Pierhead light
1045 Depart South Haven – Drive to St Joseph
1115 Arrive St. Joseph Pierhead lights
1215 Depart St. Joseph – drive to Michigan City
1315 Arrive Michigan City – photograph Michigan City Old & Michigan City Pierhead light
1500 Depart Michigan City – drive to O’Hare International
1700 Arrive O’Hare International
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:21 pm

rocky5128 wrote:I think it was the creepyness factor for me. There were a lot of scary looking people out there. If I do it again I will make sure I have my scary looking dog with me. I thought I was going to get mugged for my camera and then thrown in the lake. 8O

Kathy, are you talking about Waukegan ?? I’ve been out to that light several times, and everybody I encountered was nice and friendly, Never once did I regard it as a threatening area…Once, a older woman begin talking to me as I was walking back, discussing the Light, and lights in general…

No Thugs or Gangs in sight…..

Barry, I assume you are going on to Green Bay (Grassy Is. Range Lights, right next to the big bridge), and Menominee, to Escanaba for Sand Point….They are building by-passes of US-41 around Oconto and Peshtigo….A little messy, and slow, but you can make it through…..
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:00 am

Terry ... much thanks for the intenary ... it was my good fortune, with the exception of McGulpin Point, to be in Michigan almost seven years ago to the week that I will be in Wisconsin ... It was on that trip I became enamored with OMP, a fan of White River, and for three of my four days out, get soaked by a cold rain and snow showers. Without our being acquainted, you were kind enough to respond to several emails from me. I have often said from that trip that the Family Penrose gave one of the best lighthouse travel tips ever ... EVER!

That would be that Forty Mile Point Lighthouse is not on Forty Mile Point Road ...

Though waffling at the moment, I am more leaning towards the Eastern route ... any chance you would be around Friday morning instead? GOOGLE says 7 hours from Mackinaw City to Ohare ... If I leave that area elevenish, that gives me time to get to ORD with a little cushion for my ignorance and allow me to see OMP once more...

Breakfast sounds good that day ...
Last edited by Grover1 on Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover1 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:04 am

Kathy ... Mike ... Chuck

Thanks for the input on Waukegan ... sounds like, should it make the final cut, Ill be surreptitious and expeditious and I will hardly be noticed ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:28 am

Barry, you mentioned Au Sable, Crisp Point, and Whitefish Point......

Au Sable, I recall, was along a 27-mile long gravel, washboard road, running from Grand Marais (Couple of lights there too) through Pictured Rocks, until we connected onto the paved part of H-58.….The last time I was in the area (2007), there were plans afoot to pave portions of H-58, to be done in phases, presumably to Grand Marais….I don’t know how far they have progressed on that project….

Crisp Point, one of my favorite Lights, is a 18-mile drive on first gravel (11 miles), and then dirt (7 miles), that took me an hour & a half each way, from M-123.…It was the dirt part that took the longest, twisty and hilly…Had to go slow to not hole the oil pan, and watch for oncoming vehicles (there were a few)…..Second time we were there, had to walk the last half-mile due to a washout…..

Whitefish Point, by comparison, is a breeze, all paved road from Paradise at M-123.……..
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:49 am

Kathy ..

I land at 720 and will be on the pier as fast as I can make it thru the Avis process ... I am hoping by 9am but that will be determined by others .... Last time I flew anywhere, the plane couldnt be repaired on the ground so we needed to wait for a replacement aircraft ... That's confidence inspiring ... Speaking of Niagara Falls, I was back up there early spring .. Fort Niagara to the north, the Buffalo lights to the south, and a pair of range lights relatively close and over the Rainbow Bridge in Canada ... and if you have the time, it is worth the trip to the east to see 30 Mile Point ... the Falls are there as well :wink:

Chuck ...

With the dirt and gravel roads, you are describing a lot of what Nova Scotia was like ... the times I was seeing from light to light are now better explained by what you just wrote ... much, much appreciated ... thanks
Last edited by Grover1 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Terry_Pepper » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:02 am

Be aware that according to the Pictured Rocks National Park, work is still being undertaken on the roads in the park, and that the Hurricane River Campground from which you take the walk to Au Sable Point will not be accessible from the west. As such, Au Sable Point can only be accessed from the east. Ref: http://www.nps.gov/piro/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Here’s another possible route which includes some nifty eastern UP lights:

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 21
1200 Arrive Escanaba - photograph Sand Point and Escanaba Crib lights
1300 Leave Escanaba – drive to Manistique
1500 Arrive Manistique Pierhead light
1530 Depart Manistique – drive to Seul Choix lighthouse
1600 Arrive Seul Choix Pointe lighthouse
1700 Depart Seul Choix – drive to Newberry
1800 Arrive Newberry – Stay the night

THURSDAY OCTOBER 22
0700 Drive to Crisp Point lighthouse
0900 Arrive Crisp Point lighthouse
1000 Depart Crisp Point – drive to Whitefish Point
1130 Arrive Whitefish Point lighthouse
1330 Depart Whitefish Point – drive to Brimley
1445 Arrive Point Iroquois lighthouse
1545 Depart Point Iroquois lighthouse – drive to Mackinaw City
1645 Arrive Mackinaw City – drive to McGulpin Point
1700 Arrive McGulpin Point (photographs best in late light)
1800 Depart McGulpin Point – drive to Mackinaw City
1816 Stay the night in Mackinaw City

FRIDAY OCTOBER 23
0800 Photograph Old Mackinac Point lighthouse (photographs best in early light
0900 Walk across street to GLLKA office and meet with Terry. Go for breakfast
1000 Leave Mackinaw City – drive to ORD
1700 Arrive ORD

I am sure you have found this already, but the BEST directions for getting to Crisp Point can be found on the CPLHS website at: http://www.crisppointlighthouse.org/drive2.html

Hope this helps
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director

Seeing The Light

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby Hersh » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:34 am

The drive out to Crisp is improving every year due to more and more people heading out there and the restoration work. DO NOT try to take the back roads from Grand Marais, you'll regret it like I did. Head in from the highway as the directions in their web site will you and you'll have smooth sailing.

It really is a cool light to photograph from land. I could easily spend a coupl ehours there, especially around sunset. But as we found on our cruise, it's not so interesting from the water.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby NoahG » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:49 am

If you do come through Milwaukee I'd be happy to say hi!
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby Terry_Pepper » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:25 pm

Barry,

Add one more hour in the Mackinaw City area on Friday morning and I will be happy to give you quick tours of the Cheboygan River Front Range and the Cheboygan Crib lights. Also - assuming you have a decent telephoto, you could get distant shots of the Fourteen Foot Shoal and Poe Reef lights while on the gallery at the Cheboygan Crib.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director

Seeing The Light

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby Grover1 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:34 pm

Interesting side bar ... when you Mapquest Seul Choix you would be surprised that the
first referenced website takes you, if you chose to click, to Seoul, Korea ... I use
GOOGLE mostly but its not available at work and I could not log onto my laptop today ...

Noah ... once my list is honed, and barring the unforeseen, we'll compare notes and if
it works for you, it would be my pleasure to meet up ...

Mike ... a long (long) time ago we discussed Whitefish Point in a thread ... Gary had posted
some work and you followed with some of yours and we discussed why this is a most favored
light ... remembering that, it was a main reason for my deciding on this "eastern" route ...

Terry ... you are the other reason I chose this route ... I glanced at sunrise tables and it seems
first light is about 640, sunrise a tad past 7 ... Im thinking if I can shoot at Seul Choix, then head
up to Grand Marais, there is the little light there and then I am in a position to maybe tackle Au
Sable at the crack of dawn Thursday ... that's making the assumption I can get into the park that
early and the walk from the west is doable ... Ill need to be sure before attempting it but thats how
I am thinking ... then I should have enough daylight to get to Crisp Point, Whitefish Point, and Point
Iriquois before driving to Mackinaw City ... I could, as you suggested, trade Au Sable for McGulpin
Point but my gut, at least three weeks out, is saying I have a better chance of seeing McG in the
future before I ever get back to the UP ...

Friday morning? Im game for anything and as you noted, its but 7 hours from Cheboygan to Ohare ...
Sounds like a plan to me and I cannot tell you how much I look forward to shaking your hand and
saying hello ...

Thanks again to you all for your help and insights
Last edited by Grover1 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Lighthouselin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:29 pm

Barry , whichever way you do this trip I am looking forward to reading all about it. You are going to the area that I have been to and that will jog all manner of memories for me. The only lighthouses I have seen in the States are in Wilsconsin, Illios and Michigan and Upper Michigan.

Have an amazing trip. :mrgreen: (With envy)
Lighthouselin
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:54 am

Lin ... thanks for the good wishes ... I havent made an extended trip like this in a couple
years ... I got to say that the anticipation still has an excitement unique to the actual
execution ...

Chuck ... one of your first responses mentioned Kevich Light, which is mentioned in the
Wardius book ... and Sherwood Point, which all sources mention. Im glad you told
of the visiblity of the former ... but about Sherwood ...can that one be seen? Privacy is
prominently mentioned everywhere ...

What I learned yesterday ... that the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is open 24/7 ...
since Im tentatively planning on bunking Wednesday night in the Grand Marais area,
Au Sable is should be a go for early Thursday ... The Beach Park Motel looks like a possiblity ...
I also laerned that even though you put in Grand Marais, Michigan ... so many response came
back for same town, different state, Minnesota ... only took two or three searches to figure
that out :wink:
Last edited by Grover1 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover1 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:16 am

Uh-Oh!

Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish
Point ... how does one make it all the way there and not tour?

The White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland ... "Time ... time
... who's got the time?"

Im thinking that might have been my memory lapse when mentioning
the past thread of Mike and Gary ... of course, Im not sure and THAT's
no doubt why the call it a memory lapse ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

PreviousNext

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses