|

Wardius, Penrose & Pepper

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby kk4lighthouses » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:50 pm

No not yet. I will have to look up directions for it. LOL I am on a lighthouse hunting binge here this week to get out of the house and so far made it to Racine and Kenosha since they are not too far from home. Thanks Kathy for suggesting Ketvich. If you have an address for it, send it to me privately please.

kk
kk

"Seize the Day, greet the sun, welcome the moon, wish upon a star!" - Annie Danielson
kk4lighthouses
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Grover » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:09 pm

KK ...

Regarding Kevich ...

Dont know if this whets the appetite to visit or keeps you
from wanting to go :wink: ... as was said, it needs to be
shot from the road but that really isnt an issue ...

"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby rocky5128 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:44 am

I use http://www.lighthousefriends.com/

They have great directions.
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby kk4lighthouses » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:29 am

It looks like one definitely to see. Waiting to see when the weather is better here before I make anymore road trips. that and Have a full tank of gas too LOL. Boy did I ever go through tanks of gas just to get to these great monuments.
kk

"Seize the Day, greet the sun, welcome the moon, wish upon a star!" - Annie Danielson
kk4lighthouses
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:54 am

KK --- I posted a list on the first page of this thread, when Barry's trip was in the planning stages.....

The books won’t tell you, but to get to Kevich Light, take exit 92 from I-43, east on Ulao Rd. then North (left) at the “T” on Lake Shore Rd. about a quarter-mile…It can be seen from the road, and zoomed for photos….
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby kk4lighthouses » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:16 pm

LOL you all got me hooked on finding the lighthouses near by me and when the weather gets back to being warm again I will plan to drive up North to see them too. That Wind Point one really drew me in. Just something about it made me fall in love with it.
kk

kk4lighthouses
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:14 pm

KK....Just a warning...Once you've really gotten started.....You won't want to stop... :D
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby kk4lighthouses » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Ya think??? LOL I am addicted. Not sure if anyone here believes in past life things or feeling enlightened anytime you visit the lighthouses but when I went to Wind Point Lighthouse I swear I felt really drawn to it like I was there before or that I was linked to it somehow but not really sure how I am linked to it or drawn to it unless it has to do with a past life experience.
kk

kk4lighthouses
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Grover » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:36 am

KK ... for myself

Two reasons for this trip I took ...

For sure, to see more lights ... it was a concentrated area that
had a variety of new and old, of towers and structures. that
I could do relatively inexpensive and get my batteries recharged
(if you dont mind that tired cliche!) It had been a long while since
I had a solo trip like that ...

The other? To create a common experience ... with new acquaintances
like Kathy and Chuck and Noah along the coast ... and with older
acquaintances, like Gary, Mike and Jen along the UP ... and to meet Terry.
There was an aura, a "feel" to Seul Choix, to Au Sable, to Crisp Point, and
(especially) Whitefish Point that others spoke with that I couldnt ...

Now I can ...
"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby kk4lighthouses » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:58 am

Wow I love both those facts why you love to go see the lighthouses. And yes you are right they do seem to recharge your energies or your battery as you mentioned in your post. I hope to make acquaintances along the way as well. I did speak with two ladies that were observing Wind Point but were pretty short with me but probably due to us all freezing our butts off LOL. I will say I love chatting with you, Kathy, Chuck, etc here. It really brightens my days and nights.

kk
kk

kk4lighthouses
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:18 am

It is odd, this ‘light attraction’ that draws me….I lived in Michigan as a youngster, and never paid much attention to the lights then….A little more than a decade ago, I suggested a Michigan vacation to the wife, who had a small (at the time) lighthouse collection, as a way of going someplace she might enjoy…Since I had lived up there before we married, I knew right where several of the lights were….So, off we went, seeing 12 different lights from St. Joe up to Point Betsie….Before we had to turn around and return home. For some still-unknown reason, I caught the fever then….I pleaded with her, let’s keep going on to Frankfort, and beyond, just another day….But it had to wait for another time….There was on that trip, a kind of bonding experience with the places we visited, a neatness about the lights that I hadn’t experienced before, just a wondrous feeling….With each light, an anticipation as we neared the next one, and the triumph when we would first spot it…..

I just can’t rationally explain the pull they have over me….All I can tell you, is that it was the start for us to visit, and photograph, every U.S. Great Lakes light….A decade-long mission now that we are so close to completing.

If I had another lifetime….Think of all the lights I could see…..

And knowing others here have made the same journeys, have been to the same lights, either before me or after me ....Does make this place special as well.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby rocky5128 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:20 am

You might want to join WILD. It is a group of lighthouse people, we get togther a couple times a year up there in Wisconsin. The people are really nice. A few of them are on this forum. I have your e-mail address so I will send you the form. There is a meeting coming up at the end of the month, I believe I am going, it would be nice to meet a new lighthouse nut.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby rocky5128 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:28 am

I go on my trips whenever I need a recharge. It was so nice being at Cana Island yesterday before the sunrise! I forgot how many stars are visible when you get away from the city lights, I know it was 10 degrees at dawn, don't know what the temp was while I was sitting out there just looking at the lighthouse lit up, all the stars, then watching as the horizon started changing colors. The only ones there were me and my dogs and it was just peaceful, anything that seemed like a big deal just became something that seemed really insignificant. I have had a pretty good case of insomnia for a couple months and last night I actually slept well.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:24 pm

Actually, I did join WILD there for awhile, and went on a trip with Suzanne and the rest in 2006 up in Lake Superior....Went primarly for Granite Island, but got some great second shots of Manitou, Gull Rock, And Stannard's Rock as well, ones I had been to the year before. It was a great trip, very well organized, and the people were fantastic.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby kk4lighthouses » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:42 am

What does the membership to WILD include? I am thinking about joining it.

kk
kk

kk4lighthouses
1st Assistant Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses