|

Wardius, Penrose & Pepper

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Grover » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:43 pm

KK ...

Check out the non-lighthouse forum ...
"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby CHUCKX53 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:17 am

KK.....Nothing new here....Most of my Light trips are made from May to early November.....
Did one extended winter trip, in Jan. 2005....Got some good photos, but usually weather is just too dreary and cold to make such trips worthwhile.....

Am awating the fate of the last Wisconsin Light I have to photo close-up, the Racine Reef tower light......It is to be dismantled soon, the crib re-built, and another light to be put up in it's place.....

I'm looking towards planning another New York trip after June 1.....Have six lights yet to photo over there, and would like to get some re-takes of a few others on Lake Ontario....
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby kk4lighthouses » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:32 am

Let me know when you go out there. I still need to find the Root River one & the Breakwater one too. I was just happy to get the pictures that I did on that sunny warm day a few weeks ago but debating this week about making any other road trips. Oh lol fyi I filled out that getting to know you questionnaire just for kicks lol.
kk

"Seize the Day, greet the sun, welcome the moon, wish upon a star!" - Annie Danielson
kk4lighthouses
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Terry_Pepper » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:25 am

We will see the Racine Reef light on the GLLKA Ultimate Southern Lake Michigan Excursion Sunday June 27 through Thursday July 1. We depart from Holland, and over the following three days will circumnavigate the lake in a clockwise direction to Sturgeon Bay. On the fourth day we head across the lake past the Manitous and Grand Traverse before heading into Charlevoix, where motor coaches will take us back to Holland. As frosting on the cake, before ending the excursion at around noon on Thursday, we will take a coach out to tour the Holland Harbor lighthouse.

It's filling up fast, but if you act quickly we still have a few openings. For more information, follow this link:

http://www.gllka.com/excursions/gllka_2010_ult_so_lk_mi.pdf
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby kk4lighthouses » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:02 pm

How much is that excursion? I am trying to save up for the Door County Lighthouse Walk too.
kk

"Seize the Day, greet the sun, welcome the moon, wish upon a star!" - Annie Danielson
kk4lighthouses
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Terry_Pepper » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:51 pm

It's a little salty at $1,195.00 per person double occupancy, and $1,475.00 per person single occupancy, but keep in mind it includes the costs of four full days on the water, three motor coach rides, five nights in hotels, all meals snacks and soft drinks and entry fees for two lighthouses AND the opportunity to see a whole bunch difficult to see lighthouses in one single trip!
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:04 pm

Terry, while the trip sounds tempting, I have to balance off with what I think I can accomplish this year….As I already have shots of all the Lake Michigan lights, with the exception of a close-up of Racine Reef, it would be sort of redundant for me to take this trip….I could have arranged to go out from Racine Harbor last summer, but held off due to this….

From fbo.gov, a Solicitation link posted by Noah last winter…….

Synopsis Added: Feb 07, 2009 11:51 am

This is a SOURCES SOUGHT NOTICE to identify Small Businesses, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Certified 8(a), SDVOSB, HUBZone small business firms etc. capable of providing all labor, material, equipment, transportation and supervision required rebuild Racine Harbor Light, Racine County, WI. (The structure is located off-shore.) Work includes but is not limited to – Remove existing tower in its entirety. Demolish and remove the upper concrete deck, including rebar, from the top of the foundation. Remove outer portion of gunite coating and concrete vertically down around the perimeter of the foundation. Fabricate and install ice protection sheathing around the base to the foundation. Ice protection sheathing shall be fabricated in four sections and placed atop the timber crib. Fabricate the navigational aid tower. Mount (GFE) aids to navigation equipment (AtoN) on the tower. The NAICS for this project is 237990 with a Small Business Size Standard of $33.5M………

Since I don’t know yet what is to become of the present structure on the reef, or what they are replacing it with, I decided to wait on the outcome of the proposed work. I can always hire out a private charter for the short time to go out to this no matter what the outcome.

I would like to pick up the remaining U.S. lights on Lake Ontario that I am missing this year, which are….East Charity, Galloo, Horse Island, and the land lights of Island Street Boatyard light in North Tonawanda, and the Oak Orchard replica light, due for completion on June 1.….Also, re-takes of Oswego, Odgensburg, Rock Island and Crossover Island.

That they are going to complete Oak Orchard this year, that became the deciding factor…Now, if there was a planned excursion to Isle Royale, where I have yet to get three…Menagrie, Passage, and Rock Harbor….I may have considered differently…Sure would have liked to gotten those ones done this year, along with an offshore shot of Old North…But may have to wait until 2011 for those.

KK, the GLLKA trip will get close to four hard-to-see Indiana lights….Gary, Buffington, Indiana Harbor, and Calumet….Lights it took me 3 separate trips to get, And I live here…About 120 miles South of them…If I didn’t already have them, I would seriously consider going on this one.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby kk4lighthouses » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Yikes sorry to say it but that is a bit steep for my budget so I may have to wait too. Sorry Terry and Chuck, it sounds like a great excursion though but I am on limited funds here until I have my bills paid up here. Thanks for posting it though.
kk

kk4lighthouses
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby kk4lighthouses » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:30 am

Sorry I haven't posted lately. Been pretty crazy around here between work and dealing with the lousy winter weather again. Heck I couldn't even make any trips to any new lighthouses on my days off due to both. Anyone else here have the same troubles? Oh and wanted to wish you all a very Happy Valentine's Day.

kk
kk

kk4lighthouses
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:07 am

I won't even consider going on a long DX trip in this mess.....Went out 5 years ago to NY state, and froze my butt off.....While it was an experence walking way out on the ice to photograph the South Buffalo light, I'm just not as crazy these days about doing that......

About the only good thing about February is that it's half over, on the way to getting out of the deep freeze....
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby kk4lighthouses » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:29 am

I know what you mean. I froze my butt off first time I went to Wind Point due to the cold winds and cloudy weather. Blech. I sooo can't wait for spring to be here. Looks like I will be looking around for a 2nd job now due to my hours being cut at my current job due to the company filing a chapter 11. Justttt what I needed to deal with.

How are things with you all out there?
kk

kk4lighthouses
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:28 pm

Been a bit under the weather lately....Taking Anti-biotics this week, and on top of that, have to get a tooth pulled next week....Not looking forward to that.....

I just hate Februarys....... :(
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby kk4lighthouses » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:01 am

Sorry to hear you are under the weather Chuck, hope you feel better soon ((((CHUCKX53))). I hate getting teeth pulled too. Just tell them to give you the laughing gas then you won't know what's going on LOL.

kk
kk

kk4lighthouses
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:42 am

LOL......I don't know what's going on anyway.....

Thanks for the Hugs.....Gonna need them.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby kk4lighthouses » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:40 am

BIG TIME HUGS FOR CHUCK!! Well now I heard they may be cutting more hours at work so it looks like instead of going to check out lighthouses I will be job hunting. What a joke!! Not even sure I will be making it to Door County for the Lighthouse Walk due to low funds either.
kk

kk4lighthouses
1st Assistant Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses