|

Wardius, Penrose & Pepper

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby CHUCKX53 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:20 am

I accessed Sherwood Point during one of the Door County Lighthouse Walk events, and on those days, the Lighthouse & grounds are opened up to the public for access…..However….

It’s been 5 years since I visited, but I seem to recall that I went twice…A day earlier, before the walk, and to locate the light….I found the light can be seen from the end of the public road (Sherwood Point Rd.)…I walked up close enough to zoom some shots, then returned the next day, free to roam the grounds and take shots at will….

Coming from Algoma on Wisc-42, you will meet up with Wisc-57.…Turn right (both highways combine), go 1 mile to Idlewild Rd. (Co. Rd. M)…Go north clear to the little peninsula, and find Sherwood Point Rd….Turn left (north) for 400 yards…Road ends at Lighthouse Grounds entryway, which curves to the West….From there, you may be able to zoom the light….

There are multiple Sherwood Point Roads….So I am attempting to attach a map showing the way with a little red flag where the light is……The straight North/South road is the one you want....
Attachments
Sherwood Pt Map.jpg
Sherwood Pt. Map
Sherwood Pt Map.jpg (30.66 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
Sherwood Point Pic.jpg
Sherwood Point
Sherwood Point Pic.jpg (58.21 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:50 am

Chuck ... thank you! ...

It appears that I'll should be in Door County Tuesday
afternoon ... stating the obvious, there's much to accomplish ...
Im trying to figure if its better to strat far and work back or begin
near and work my way back ...

If sunset was part of the timing, where would anyone suggest I end this leg?
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover1 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:42 am

Times have changed ...

Im thinking Im going to need one carrying case for both laptop and my modest camera equipment ... B&H is showing, in a manly chocolate exterior, a TENBA for 99.99 less a 20.00 mail in rebate ... Seems necessary to elimanate one carry-on or leaving the laptop home ... Any thoughts?
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:13 pm

On all our trips this summer, I took this little guy along, and was so glad I did…Although I didn’t need any help from anybody, it was nice to know that there were people here who could give me a hand if I got stuck….And since you are going to be so far from home, I would think you should, if nothing more than to give us an update every night of your trip….Now, that would be Neat… 8)

Don’t know how many cameras, lenses, etc…you are taking, but if you could possibly combine both the Laptop and the Equipment into one carry-on…..You know how much baggage gets misplaced or lost these days….All of that shouldn’t be more than 20 Lbs, should It ?? The heavest thing I carry is the Tamaron 500, and it's just a couple of pounds.....
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:17 pm

Using Grand Marais as the focal point ...

... The record high temperatures for the week I am visiting ... 78-81
... The record low temperatures for the very same week ... 16-18
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Tybeeisland48 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:30 pm

Well I am tired just reading this...your schedule is quite aggressive! I wish you luck achieving all the places you plan to attend. Keep in mind that a map is nothing like the real time you will experience!

I am anxious to hear how your trip goes, and wish you much sincere luck and safety!
Have fun, and stay in touch with this forum.

Pam
Tybeeisland48
Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:12 am

Hi Pam ... Thanks for your good wishes

With the pace at work at a crawl Ive had time to lay out a actual tentative intenary ... from the eyeballing last week to GOOGLING semi reality this week, I am already leaking buckets of time ... but as I wrote earler. while I will have a path, I will not use a hard clock ... Never having been to Wisconsin or the UP I dont plan on missing or skipping ... Nor do I plan on rushing through Door County ...

How terrible would it be if I needed a return trip one day to complete this ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:40 am

Or how Great.....??
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:34 am

Then again, there needs to be priorities (my waffling begins ... )

In a perfect world ... airline, car rental, traffic, sunlight, google maps ... and
the fact many of the stops are pier lights with limited opportunities to do much
other than document ... I could do the full intenary

We dont inhabit a world of perfect ... Door County, for instance. Viewing from NJ,
my concept was always "Lighthouse Walk" If you had told me before eyeballing
it that there could be an hour between lights ...

The trip from Au Sable to Crisp Point ... GOOGLE says under 60 miles ... GOOGLE
also says 2 hours 26 minutes ... Im sensing that that isnt a straight line

The trip from Crisp Point to Whitefish Point ... its a huge blue "L" on all
maps ... why no hypoteneuse (?)

There are lights I need to see ... Au Sable keeps calling for me, as does Whitefish
Point. I remember Gary's bird house shots from Seul Choix and the refelction shot
Sturgeon Bay. I remember the LHD stories on Crisp Point ... on and on

So, today I make "contingency" plans, the JIC I need to hopscotch a little. Just
seems prudent
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby rocky5128 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:42 am

The road to Au Sable is a dirt road for a good portion. That is part of the reason it will take so long between lights. You also have a long walk to get to it. It is worth it though. When I go on my trips I really do not do the intenary thing. You then have a tendancy to speed, (get a real expensive ticket that you have to pay right then and there because you are an out of stater) :evil: or you are rushing and you do not get the full effect of the light. Just go at a good pace and make it up as you go along, IMHO.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:11 am

Kathy’s right here….The U.P. is a whole nother animal…We parceled out a day on Whitefish in the AM hours, and Crisp in the PM hours, staying in Newberry before moving in to Grand Marias and Au Sable the next day, bunking down in Munising for the next night….

It seems I remember at least an Hour and a half each way to Crisp from M-123, and once there, you just don’t just want to do a stop-and-go, you will want to stick around awhile and take in the neat remoteness of the place…

Same goes for Au Sable, you’ll want to poke around the grounds for a bit….Just doesn’t do to stop and go….And the “Lighthouse Birdhouse” at Seul Choix -- I had heard it was gone some time ago, but never verified…Perhaps Terry or someone who has been out there lately could tell you that…I by-passed that light last month driving through a mini-storm between Escanaba and Naubinway….So I haven’t been there in about…What, 5 years..? I did get a good shot of the Birdhouse with the light behind it when I did visit way back then…

As for travel between Crisp and Whitefish…That’s the nature of that part of the U.P. …If you’re 20 miles away, you have to travel 60 miles to get there…..
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby rocky5128 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:19 pm

Last time I was there the birdhouse was gone. That was like 2 years ago, so maybe another one was put up.

If you are going up there I would just wing it and find them as you go.

You might get some real nice fall color shots up in Door County. I am going up there this weekend and it is only like 25% peak colors, 2-3 weeks for peak colors.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:34 am

I would be lying if I said the thought of Fall colors didnt play a role of the timing of the trip ...

Im noticing that Mapquest and GOOGLE dont always agree on the directions from light to light
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby rocky5128 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:49 am

Do not even try to use a GPS to find Crisp Point. I heard the words "make U-turn now"so often I just turned her off.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:49 am

Kathy ... Thank you for all your insight.

Me, Im old enough that I may want to just get a
Rand-McNally Atlas of Wisconsin and the UP ...
GOOGLE, for the Milwaukee Pier Light, leaves you
in the middle of I-794 before you cross the river. I
got the "rest of the way" by reading LIGHTHOUSEFRIENDS ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

PreviousNext

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses