|

Wardius, Penrose & Pepper

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby rocky5128 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:50 pm

My GPS told me to turn Right in the middle of the highway overpass bridge to plummet to my death to get to Milwaukee!
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:55 pm

Doesn’t anybody read maps anymore ??

We started our first lighthouse journey in 1999 with the aid of a Michigan state map….Plus my knowledge of the west “Gold Coast” from having lived there briefly many years ago….

On the way back we picked up the first Penrose book…..

Thereafter, I begin running out area maps from an old Compton’s program to take along , along with the ever-ready Rand McNally…Later upgraded to Microsoft Streets and Trips to carry along….

I’ve never owned a GPS….Frankly, for me half the fun of going to a light is finding the light…It’s like an adventure….A quest, so to say….Always neat to turn that corner or top that rise, and…There it is…About where I thought it would be….

With only the Penrose books to go by at first, I guessed the location of McGulpin, Jacobsville, Kevich, and a host of others…And found them…All good times…

After hiking out to 14-Mile Point, I picked up a copy of the Atlas & Gazaetteer, which is so cool…The whole state of Michigan cut up into 120 full-sized pages…Kinda wish I’d had that to start with, but think of all the exploring we would have missed out on……

Last year, I got Google Earth….So there’s no more guesswork…Sigh… :roll:

Barry, If you’re interested, here’s the Gazaetteer website….They have Atlas-sized books of every state for about $20 each…..My opinion, much better than Google or Mapquest….

http://www.maps.com/map.aspx?pid=818
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby rocky5128 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:50 pm

I actually started finding them by following the Circle Lake Michigan signs. I did not know that Chicago had a lighthouse, and I used to pass by Grosse Point twice a week and never even looked at it. I got off I-94 just north of Milwaukee and was trying to stay along the lake as much as I could and found Kevich, then Port Washington. It was fun to just look for them so I just kept on following the signs and found the lighthouses as I came across them. When I got to Door County I stopped in the museum and found the Penrose book, bought it and have been hooked on lighthouses ever since. Now whenever I have the chance to get away for a quick weekend trip I usually don't even need the book or the map. But I still keep it in the vehicle just in case!

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:13 am

Chuck ... thanks for the web address. Ive used Delorme before (they have the best fold up of Maine ever) and I wouldnt hesitate to order this by the end of the day 8O
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:18 am

Another question ... other than the fact it is there and it is in between two other lights, is there any other reason to make the trip from Rt 2 down 20 miles and back up 20 miles to view Peninsula Point light. The only views I keep seeing are those trying to incorporate the surrounding trees into a shot of the lighthouse. Architecturally (?) it doesnt appear to be a giant in the order of magnitude and the overall visuals dont appear to be overwhelming.

For sure, ALL my plotted lighthouses are calling my name ... right now, on a decibel level, this one is decreasing to a whisper ... would welcome some thought
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:55 am

If you are holding to your plan of Escanaba by Noon on Wednesday (21st), I think you will have time to see Peninsula Point, Manistique, and Seul Choix before finding a place to bed down for the night. The detour to Peninsula Point will run you an hour & a half at most, still giving you time for the other two…

I liked Peninsula Point, for a couple of reasons -- The Tower was accessible to climb, there was a neat view of the lake (off in the distance you can spot Minneapolis Shoal), and the park area was very nicely kept….True, that only the tower and lantern remains of the Schoolhouse-type light after the 1959 fire, but I found the area very peaceful…The roadway is paved for all but the last mile (where it becomes gravel & dirt), and I had no problems with access in or out….

I don’t see a problem with you making all 3 of these, and then driving the approximately 50 miles to Grand Marais and view those 2 lights before dusk….If you could find a place to bunk down there, it would give you a jumping off point for your goal of Au Sable, Crisp, Whitefish, and Point Iroquois on Thursday (22nd)….Finishing with a presumed run down I-75 to Mackinaw City by nightfall….

Here is a shot of Peninsula Point to help you decide, and a shot of Seul Choix showing where the birdhouse is…or was….
Attachments
peninsula point.jpg
Peninsula Point
peninsula point.jpg (69.66 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
seul choix.jpg
Seul Choix Light
seul choix.jpg (68.16 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:33 am

Two weeks from this very day, from this very moment, I will be one hour from takeoff ... psyched just begins to describe the high I am feeling

Some of what I've learned so far ...

... biggest surprise was how big the Door County peninsula is ... from Sturgeon Bay up to Cana Island to crossing over to Eagle Bluff and back down to Sherwood Point ... this has casued me to relook ... and relook ... and reassess what I can comfortably do as opposed to what I want to to do ...

... that the temperatures ... at least from reading The Kenosha News ... are forecasted to be mild ... upper 50's and low 60's ... this week. Dont know what that means for my week, but at least this was comforting to see ...

... that using the GOOGLE coordinates on Lighthousefriends added more travel time between lights than MAPQUEST

... that Im sad to learn the bird house at Seul Choix may be gone

... that for me to get to the four towers I feel almost compelled to see Thursday, most likely three lights will be on a "cut list" from Monday / Tuesday. Two will be painful but easy ... one just painful

... that my laptop will fit in my backpack/camera bag and that's one less bag to be concerned about

... that my ancillary goal is to be able to pack 5 days wear in one carry on, expediting my arrival at the AVIS counter

... that I still havent figured out why if I use an internet coupon from AVIS, the rate goes UP 10 dollars for the five days. I need to reserve it this week.

Im sure I'll be slapping the side of my head so much more over these next couple of days ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:51 pm

T-minus 2 Weeks, Barry..........Have you considered your lodging...??

Here's some of the places we have stayed....Star rating 1 to 4.....

SOUTH MILWAUKEE ----

***LaQuinta Inn
7141 S. 13th St.
Exit 320 off I-94
414-762-2266

GREEN BAY, WISC ---

**North Star Motel
1111 N. Military Ave.
Business Rt. 41
920-499-6253

**Motel 6
1614 Shawano Ave.
Exit 169 off US 41
920-494-6730

BAILEY’S HARBOR, WISC ---

***Sunrise Motel
8647 Highway 57
In Bailey’s Harbor
920-839-1562

MARINETTE, WISC ---

***Chalet Motel
1301 Marinette Ave.
On Highway 41
715-235-6901

NEWBERRY, MICH ---

**Evening Star Motel
965 Newberry Ave.
906-293-8342

**Super 8
7540 Newberry Ave.
906-293-5114

MACKINAW CITY, MICH ---

***Beachcomber Motel
1011 S. Huron Ave.
On Highway US 23
231-436-8451
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:10 pm

Chuck, your kind help is again much appreciated ...

Right now, strangely, days three and four seem set ... I know to attempt attacking the four towers on Thursday, I need to be in Grand Marais Wednesday night ... Im thinking the Beach Park Motel looks ok on the web and will be contacting them Thursday. Thursday night Im thinking The HIE in Mackinaw City ... it surprised me how reasonable the rates were.

Now, nights one and two, there's the rub (whatever "the rub" means). To make days three and four work I need to be thru Door County Tuesday night. I dont want to rush thru Door. In all likelihood, that means three lights gets elimanted Monday/Tuesday. Again, the final cut comes Thursday but Im thinking Chicago Harbor, Waukegan, and Kevich are for next time. We do have family in the Chicago area so a return could occur. By starting at Grosse Point and then NOT going to the other two I can pick up the necessary minutes

Not knowing exactly when I will hit the 615ish run out of light time, your list becomes a valuable printout to go in the book. Thank you again ...

However, if the plane is detained ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:44 pm

Seriously Barry, you should keep Kevich in....It's only like 2 miles off I-43 at Exit 92...east on Ulao Rd. then North (left) at the “T” on Lake Shore Rd. about a quarter-mile…It can be seen from the road, and zoomed for photos….You could return to I-43 back the same way and it would amount to not even 15 minutes...
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:26 am

One of the challenges will be to keep Route's 41,42, and 43 from being confusing ...

Chuck, nothing is locked and if I think for a moment that all lights are a go, Im anal
enough to make that effort. Mike referred to having "a completionist streak" Yet, Im
also flexible enough to change on the fly if I think that necessary as well.

I imagine I'll be looking at the chosen route right up to the time I comlete the
visit to the prior light.
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:52 am

Aye, Barry, I can understand….I have the luxury of being a lot closer to these lights over here on the Lakes than you, and If we had to miss any, due to time constraints or the weather, well we could always return at a later time and try again…And did, many times….Sometimes, we got lucky the first time…other times, it’s back to that particular light 7 or 8 times to get the shot I want….

If I had to go barnstorm the coast of New Jersey, I would face a similar dilemma as you do here…What to leave in, what to leave out, allowances for time and weather….I always do extensive planning, Watch the forecasts starting a week before we leave, Try to select the optimal time to be at each light, Plan the route for each day and allow for travel times and time at each light….It is not being “anal” to try to complete as much as possible…Just good planning…And there has to be flexibility in there also….

As for the road numbers…43 is the Interstate, 41 is the US highway, and 42 is the State road…Different looking signs…If you think of them that way, I believe you will do fine…..

Tell us, are you traveling solo, or will you have a companion ?
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:38 pm

Chuck, these autumn excursions are always done solo.
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover1 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:49 pm

Quoting Onceler ... "Progresses, progresses!"

Yesterday was an interesting day in the mid-Atlantic states ... One weather front stalled
as another bumped against it trying to get into the area ... this caused a monstrous "pressure
gradient" ... this caused extremely high winds (gusts exceding 50 mph) and, more importantly,
airport delays in excess of 2 hours at all three NY areas. That caused me to devise a fall back
plan, an order of magnitude, based on the potential for delay ...

Simple rule ... towers first, spider lights next, pier lights last.

Kathy ... Ivory soap sure I will be starting at Grosse Point Monday morning, hopefully
a little past nine. I'll send you my cell number so we can touch base after I land

Noah ... North Point looks mid to late afternoon Monday ... same as above ... I'll send
along my number ... would be great if you could make it there.

Terry ... Im booked into the HIE in Mackinaw City Thursday night ... looking forward to
Friday morning

Outerwear will be a function of temperature but I'll be easy to spot ... I'll have the Willis
(as in the renamed Chicago tower) baseball cap on. (There's a freaky connection with Mr
Plumeri and my younger one ...)

Chuck, also took your advice and am awaiting the arrival of the Delorme atlas. There
was an on line coupon for a 5% discount. That was another dollar saved :)

Car rental booked ... HIE booked for Thursday .... inquiry made to a motel in Grand Marias
for Wednesday night (the answering machine did NOT pronounce the name of the town as
I read the name of the town) Other places to stay? Chuck, your list is printed and, nights
one and two, will be put into use as the sun goes down

Tomorrow (Friday) I can start doing the "10 Day Out" weather obsession at Weather.Com

My older one volunteered ... volunteered ... to get me to the airport that Monday
morning ... figuring I need to be there 90 minutes ahead of time, that means leaving here
330am ... One of the boys will be there late Friay night as well.

Still laugh when I see the GOOGLE directions from Au Sable to Crisp Point ... just 46 miles,
but alloting two hours, 30 minutes, and 32 separate steps to get there (although to be fair
so many of them do say "Crisp Point Road")

Did I say I am so psyched for this trip?
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover1 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:33 am

Ten days until the day before ...

... Kenosha ... High 55 / Low 42 ... Parlty Sunny
... Green Bay ... 52/35 ... Mostly Cloudy
... Grand Marais ... 51/39 ... Mostly Cloudy
... Mackinaw City ... 49/38 ... Cloudy
Grover1
Lighthouse God

PreviousNext

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses