|

Ultimate lighthouse #2

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby CaptainJason » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:50 am

I just remembered that I uploaded a bunch of my pictures from the ultimate lighthouse 1 on our facebook page. If you facebook Keweenaw Star Excursions you can view the photos there. I also have a couple of my lightning pictures from this summer. The first one is actually striking the Copper Harbor Lighthouse.
CaptainJason
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Grover » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:25 pm

Jason ... now a FACEBOOK fan of The Star ... thanks for the head's up
"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby CaptainJason » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:52 am

This cruise is going to serve as a perfect chance to see your dream home. The Round Island light in the St. Mary's river is for sale for just 3.3 million. This includes 3 boats, your own heli-pad, and mainland facilities in Raber. www.pprmi.com to see the listing

Captain Jason
CaptainJason
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby TenofHearts12 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:52 pm

IF.....I hit the Powerball this weekend I'm there! ;-)
"Your never too old to do goofy stuff" (Ward Cleaver, Leave It To Beaver)
TenofHearts12
Keeper

Postby CaptainJason » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:47 am

Does anyone have good knowledge of the Lighthouses in the North Channel. I am primarily looking in the area from the St. Mary's River East to the Mississagi Straight. I have been using lighthouse depot but they don't include maps to show where these lights are located. So far I am aware of Shoal Island, West Sister Rock, Wilson Channel Ranges, McCay Island, and Mississagi Point. I found some reference to Sulhur Island. Lighthouse Depot has its current use as destroyed. Can anyone confirm or deny that? I found a picture of one at a place called Richards Landing. Looks like it might be a home-made one instead of an active aid. I am working on a cruise for this area and need some more input.

Captain Jason
CaptainJason
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Weasel58 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Captain Jason, have you looked at the Lighthouse Friends maps? They use Google Earth to show the lights location. They have the US and a lot of Canadian lights mapped out. Just click on the State or Provence you want to view. Then you can zone in and out on the area you really want.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/maps.html

Another good resource is Lighthouse Directory. No maps, but lists most active and inactive lighthouses.

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby NoahG » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:12 am

I second Russ's site. If it existed, its probably on there.
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby CaptainJason » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:42 am

Well we have enough passengers to justify making the trip. All we have to do now is wait and see on Mother Nature. Overall it has been a relatively mild winter from what I hear. The Mid Atlantic seems to be taking the beating this year. I look at the ice charts and there is very little ice on Lake Superior so I don't think spring breakout will be an issue. It should be a fun trip and I hope to see a few of you on the voyage.

Captain Jason
CaptainJason
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby CaptainJason » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:36 pm

Well the forecast is in. The NOAA says the lakes are warmer than they were at this time last year, and that they are only gonna get warmer. I figure Lake Superior should be up to 39 or 40 by the end of May. Thats downright balmy. So all you lighthouse lovers who are afraid of a little cold water have nothing to fear.

CaptainJason
CaptainJason
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Hersh » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:08 pm

Who cares about the cold... The Star would be plenty comfortable in any weather, I say.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby CaptainJason » Sun May 16, 2010 8:29 pm

We still have some room left. The forecast is in and the weather looks great. Big high pressure ridge remaining nearly stationary through Friday. Call me, Jason, at 231 237-9365 if you can make this one. You just have to be to the Soo by 3pm on Wednesday.
CaptainJason
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby CaptainJason » Tue May 25, 2010 5:47 am

Well, ultimate lighthouse 2 is in the books. For all you people who stayed away because of the cold weather, eat your heart out. Flat calm, like a sheet of glass was Lake Superior. The sun was shining and the temp out on the lake was a balmy 60. We saw 18 ships up close as well as all the lighthouses between Marquette and Charlevoix. Yes Hersh that was 18 plus a few more before and after the cruise as well as a few after docking in the Soo for the night.

Captain Jason
CaptainJason
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Hersh » Thu May 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Glad you had a good trip Jason. wish I could have been there for it.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Previous

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses