|

Never saw the Sea ...

A forum to discuss lighthouses in Canada, Australia, Europe and Asia.

Postby Grover » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:09 am

From The German Herald

http://germanherald.com/news/Germany_in ... ted_status

(No Photo Credit)
"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LeadingLight » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:20 pm

Funny story, but also a bit strange. I've never heard that story, while Cologne is almost around the corner here. First thing I noticed was that it is a brick lighthouse. It sounds not very logical to construct a brick lighthouse in Germany and ship it to Zanzibar. Had it been cast iron, then I could have believed it. Looking for information, my first conclusion was that the Germans have never been ruling over Zanzibar, but other sources mention it had been a German protectorate for just a few months. The island had been property of the sultan of Oman for ages and had been an English protectorate.
This source http://www.economy-point.org/o/of-helios-ag.html mentions the lighthouse as a test station for Helios works in Cologne. To be honest, that sounds much more reliable to me.
I will ask some German pharologists what they think of this story.
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
51 34 06.7 N - 006 01 57.8 E
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:58 pm

I've been duped by that lighthouse as well. Many years ago before we became stringent in accepting lighthouses for the ILLW, that particular lighthouse was accepted as an entry in the event and has been a regular ever since. When we started our own numbering system we investigated further and found that it was never used as a lighthouse nor was it ever listed as an aid to navigation hence it should never have been accepted as an entry. However, by default I had to accept it as an entry and give it a number when we instituted our own numbering system in 2007.
There are many web references to it one of which is here:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_AG

I agree with Frans' comments.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LeadingLight » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:18 am

It's great to have a global network :D

Bob Knight in Florida is one of the people in my address book. He mailed the story to Klaus Kern, who is a lighthouse expert in Germany and lives not to far from here, at the other side of the border. And Klaus wrote this about the tower:

the story of the Helios Light Tower is true. The Helios Company was one of the early german factories producing electrical lamps. So the company deliver the complete Lightsystems for the Panama canal. And the company deliver special light bulbs for Lighthouses.

But the Helios Tower is the only LH building from this company. It was pplanned for Zansibar, but this get not reality because the British take Zansibar. So the company built the Lighthouse in Cologne - as a symbol for the company, for advertising their products and too for tests of the bulbs.

The complete factory building was used for a lot of things - in the 1950th it was a sport arena, 6-days bicyle races. In the following years the buildings, also the tower became damage, but in the 1990th yeras it was restaurated. And today it has different uses - there are shops inside and too little companies of designers, a bar.
And too the Towet get a new light at his top.
Last edited by LeadingLight on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
51 34 06.7 N - 006 01 57.8 E
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Grover » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:52 pm

Thanks, Frans
"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Return to Canadian, Australian, and Int'l Lighthouses