|

royal tour cancellation

A forum to discuss lighthouses in Canada, Australia, Europe and Asia.

Postby jgt24 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:59 am

This summer Canadian post released a set of cancellations for the Royal Tour ofr prince Edward and Kate.

In several places -postoffices- was available a pictorial cancel so in Summerside PE too. It shows a lighthouse.
Can anyone to help me on it ?
Thru medical reasons I missed.
Regards,
Jaap Termes
jgt24
Visitor

Postby tinypiney » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:22 pm

...you mean William and Kate? :) ...we'd need a picture of the lighthouse to identify it.
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:00 pm

The only lights at Summerside, PEI are three range lights.

island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby jgt24 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:32 am

This light is pictured on a pictorial postal cancellation with the visit of William and kate at Canada this summer.
The red cancellation with the lighthouse on a letter /card I'm looking for.
any help,
Jaap Termes
jgt24
Visitor

Postby island » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:09 pm

(Looks like North Cape Light)
http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/campaigns/royal/postmarks.jsf

Better luck next visit. :(
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby jgt24 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:42 am

Hi Island,
I know about this canadian info but I think I'm overtime.

I'll try it with a SASE maybe I'm lucky.
regards
jgt24
Visitor

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:12 pm

There are quite a few lighthouses on PEI and most of them are 4 sided. The only 6 sided ones I could find photos of on my system that look like the stamp are:-

East Point
North Cape
Panmure Head

Take your pick.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Kevin,

My dear Watson ---
I deduced this to be North Cape the lighthouse rendition on this stamp for having three windows and the grass, a significant clue, was not mowed. The grounds at this lighthouse, unlike the grounds in proximity to other two hexagonal towers, is not open to the public because of the presence of a 250-ft ( my estimate) communication tower adjacent to the 62-ft tower. --- Holmes

island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:38 pm

My dear Holmes,

I suspect you are quite correct in your assumption and that's why I included a pic of North Cape in my small group. I am intrigued by the ring next to the lighthouse in the stamp art work. I could not find any lighthouse similar to the stamp at Summerside so I think we agree on North Cape being the subject of the stamp. Case closed.

Watson.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Might I suggest to you, My dear Watson, the ring is an artistic representation of that which appears at the easterly horizon on cloudless mornings, a natural phenomenon most notably apparent to those of us with habit of arising early each day, and not recognized by those of later morning habit to whom this object would appear much higher. :) From the location of said ring, knowledge of the compass orientation and latitude of said lighthouse, the azimuth of the object and thence the season of the crime,---(excuse me please), ---I mean to say the season of the depiction might readily be be determined. ---- Holmes

Concerning azimuth: http://www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/astro/smpos.jsp
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:15 pm

Ah yes. On closer inspection I can see the artists attempt to create a vision of water with either the sun or the moon in the ascendant or descendant with a couple of sea gulls added for good measure.
On closer inspection of the lighthouse I also notice that the stamp has a railing around the widow's walk with vertical uprights whereas the photo of North Cape has diagonals. This casts some doubt on the identity of the lighthouse depicted on the stamp as being North Cape. It's more likely to be some other lighthouse, don't you think?
The plot thickens.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:56 am

'Tis true North Cape and East Point have unique diagonals supporting the rail. However, most prominently the tower windows of the artistic rendition match those of North Point in number and architectural treatment having horizontal drip caps above each, the other two light towers having more ornate gable-style decorative drip caps. The North Cape tower details are quite visible in this image. Panmure Head with four windows and vertical supports also has distinct gallery deck supports, unlike North Cape and East Point. I would suggest the verticals of the depiction were artistic license.

Correction: Panmure lantern does not have intermediate vertical rail supports.
Last edited by island on Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:41 am

I was going to say artistic license...it definietely has all the other architectural elements of North Cape. You're a good detective. :)
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby jgt24 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:08 pm

Thank you all for this info but that's what I don't need.

i'm looking for this ccancellation on a letter/card.
regards,
jgt24
Visitor

Postby island » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Jaap.

We understand. We know what you are seeking and we can not help. I believe earlier on the thread it was determined we can not meet your needs. I recognize you do not need this later information and it may not be of interest to you. It was not posted to meet your needs.

This is a lighthouse discussion board. This is not a collectors forum. The purpose of this continued posting is to identify the lighthouse depicted on the stamp. The stamp itself is irrelevant. This activity reflects our interests in lighthouses, lightships and life-saving stations, the real thing,. Though meaningful to you, artistic renditions of such on stamps or other collector items or trinkets are of minimum significant on this website.

Good luck in your quest. We hope you find that which you seek. And if you do stop back here and inform us of your success.

Island
island
Lt. Commissioner

Next

Return to Canadian, Australian, and Int'l Lighthouses