|

royal tour cancellation

A forum to discuss lighthouses in Canada, Australia, Europe and Asia.

Postby island » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:05 pm

Kevin, Look very closely at the Panmure rail and you will see there are no intermediate rail supports as depicted in the lighthouse stamp image. It is interesting to note the cable ties between the lantern and the top of the rail posts. Island

island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby jgt24 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:58 am

Island,
That I'll do it.
Till than,
regards,
Jaap
jgt24
Visitor

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:30 pm

As suggested I believe artistic license plays a role here. The artist has used a photo of a lighthouse and created his own image with some similarities to the original. I searched all of my lighthouse data base and could not find any lighthouse with 6 sides that had verticals similar to the stamp. My CD has 252 photos of lighthouses on Prince Edward Island.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:36 pm

A most unusual feature of Panmure is the cables connecting the lantern roof to rail posts the purpose which most likely is to support the rail, not tie down the lantern. This lantern would be most appropriately connected directly to the deck.

This is not the original lantern. A replacement lantern was installed in the mid-1880s and a fourth-order lens installed to replace multiple lamps and this lamp used early vintage high volatility, low flash point kerosene fuel. Two years later, a learning experience with this fuel, a fuel vapor explosion within at the lamp destroyed the lens and damaged the lantern.

Coincidentally, it was at not to distant Charlottetown, PEI in 1846 where Abranam Gesner gave the first public demonstration of a new process he discovered using coal to produce a lamp fuel. The name he chose for the registered trade-name for this fuel was kerosene. This fuel also known as paraffin or coal oil was to became the fuel of choice of lighthouse lamps worldwide.

This leads to the following post.
Last edited by island on Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:44 pm

And for our new friend Jaap who started this thread---

Abraham Gesner was a physician and surgeon, geologist, and inventor. His grandfather immegrated to the US and then to Canada from the Netherlands. (I think perhaps that is where Jaap may be located)

Canada post has twice honored Gesner with a commemorative stamp:

March 17, 2000 46 cent stamp
Title: Abraham Gesner: Father of the Oil Industry
Series: The Millennium Collection, Fathers of Invention

http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s1=3671&l=20&d=POST&p=1&u=http%3A//www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020117/020117030418_e.html&r=1&f=G&SECT3=POST
---------------------------------------
June 17, 1988 37 cent stamp
Title: Kerosene, 1846
Series: Canada Day - Science and Technology, Canadian Innovations in Energy, Food, Research and Medicine
http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s1=1157&l=20&d=POST&p=1&u=http%3A//www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020117/020117030311_e.html&r=1&f=G&SECT3=POST

--------------------------------------
It is amazing where the pursuit of lighthouses and history of such can lead one!! And that which is posted on this thread is only part of my journey that commenced with this topic that I will share as other topics in later posts.

Island
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:28 pm

I agree with your sentiments about the search for knowledge leading in all directions from a small beginning. I meant to comment on the "cable ties" for Panmure. The railing should be self supporting but maybe they wanted to make doubly sure. I doubt whether a railing without vertical supports would be allowed here for safety reasons alone. It would be quite easy for even an adult to fall through it.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:35 pm

The Panmure Head rail has only six verticals attached to the deck being a hexagonal arrangement. The two others with the intermediate verticals have twelve verticals attached to the deck thus much stronger support and these significantly strengthened by diagonal cross braces between verticals.

I believe what we identified as cables are steel rods.

I discovered another PEI light with steel rod supports and turnbuckles, the round tower of Point Prim with 12 sided deck. (note dark gallery deck access door)

However, in a view of East Cape on Marinas.com I and found it also has cables (rods) but attached to the deck, not the rails. And shown also in this image.

When seeking more lantern images I found these two images. #-o

East Quoddy in NB

False Duck Island in Ontario

In conclusion I guess the cables or rods are for holding down the lantern, a Canadian standard of sorts and maybe part of the lantern design. In some of the images posted on this topic you can see that the metal panels below the glass identical, rectangular with rounded corners.

( so they will not get shaken off during an earthquake :o
or to prevent theft of lanterns by helicopter? 8O )
Maybe to facilitate a Rent-A-Lantern exchange program.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:57 pm

Maybe it gets quite windy where they have those tie-downs. I notice a wind farm in the background. Perhaps an email to the Canadian Lighthouse Authority might reveal the answer.
I'll email a Canadian ham about it and see if he knows.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:34 pm

Exposure to strong wind is a valid consideration. The wind farm wind the location of the Canadian wind turbine test site chosen for the variety of wind and weather conditions at that location.

I believe this is a standard design lantern, and the design included anchor rod connectors on the frame above the glass. Otherwise it would be a challenge to retrofit said rods for a lantern in place on the tower. I found several others of the same apparent design but the images from ground level made it not possible to determine if rods were present. The Marinas collection of aerial photos is great for close-up lantern views but there are many lights of interest not included in the collection.

Another feature is hand grips (?) positioned around the circumference of the of the lantern roof. These can be seen in the above images of East Quoddy, False Duck and Panmur above, but none on North Cape.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby jgt24 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:41 am

Hi Island,

I send my SASE =self addressed stamp enveloppe to Summerside postoffice with the quest for a lighthouse cancel and today I received my cards back with a fine cancellation ,

Im a lucky boy,

Regards
Jaap
jgt24
Visitor

Previous

Return to Canadian, Australian, and Int'l Lighthouses