|

Lighthouses of PEI

A forum to discuss lighthouses in Canada, Australia, Europe and Asia.

Postby island » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:08 pm

A really great lighthouse website. Lots of good information. Absolutely loaded with photos of the lights inside and out and with photos lamps, lenses, clockwork, tools, equipment, etc,etc. There are several slideshows in the technology and architecture topics.

http://virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Lighthouses/English/Main/index.html

From this site the lantern at Panmure Island light with support rods that were topic or an early discussion.

And stories like this: "According to Harry Harris, the last keeper at East Point, nothing was worse for an assistant than working for a keeper “who wore a shirt and a tie and kept his hands in his pockets.” Even when the assistants were on duty the keeper was usually close at hand. Harry said, “You carried your burden with you.” He recalled being called home from concerts and other local events when problems arose. If the keeper was seen out too often there would be complaints from others who wanted his job. He recalled one fellow who “wore the wheels off his wagon one summer with his petitions to get rid of a keeper.”
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:19 pm

I raised the question of the support rods with a Canadian friend of mine who came back with the following:-

On further investigation, it appears those rails extending down from the top of the lantern to the rails, did indeed have a purpose, they were designed to be used as supports for drapes which proteced the lenses and glasses from the birds, mainly in the Great Lakes area, isn't that a hoot !!!

For info.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:30 am

Birds. Supports for drapes. Hmmm.

Metal supports join the roof of the lantern to the railing.
Last edited by island on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Also, it protects the birds. I heard a story somewhere where a flock of ducks flew into a lighthouse and the keeper's family ate one for Christmas dinner...
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Apologies if you find that explanation frivolous Dave. I didn't, that's why I posted it.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Fred » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks for the url,definitely a website to bookmark,some good photographs of the old equipment.
Fred
Keeper

Postby island » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:00 pm

Kevin, I did not think you were serious from the words included in the quote;
Isn't that a hoot!!

Needless to say I don't buy into the bird screen thing. The statement below the photo showing the braces attached to the rail is not my words. It is the caption that appeared with the photo.
Metal supports join the roof of the lantern to the railing.

Flocks of larger birds such as ducks and geese were sometimes a problem for being disoriented by the light at night and flying into the lantern glass and breaking it. This happens most often during migration and with overcast sky
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:12 am

"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby Fred » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:53 am

I agree not for drapes,I've not had birds hit the lantern glazing during the daytime.
Nightime with a light mist was the usual time for birds to hit the glazing so hard they would break there necks.
I've both heard them hit then found there bodies on the balcony.

for drapes on lighthouses try :-

Ruined the look of the light,but with nobody there to clean the mess?
Last edited by Fred on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fred
Keeper

Postby Fred » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:56 am

I agree not for drapes,I've not had birds hit the lantern glazing during the daytime.
Nightime with a light mist was the usual time for birds to hit the glazing so hard they would break there necks.
I've both heard them hit then found there bodies on the balcony.

for drapes on lighthouses try :-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iancowe/3338935609/

Ruined the look of the light,but with nobody there to clean the mess?
Fred
Keeper

Postby island » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:03 pm

The birds in the photo appear to be cormorants. They have the habit of gathering together to rest, spread wing to dry their feathers, to preen and while there to relieve themselves. They prefer exposed ledge or rocky shores of islands and where less likely to be disturbed by other creatures including the human kind. It appears Bell Rock served their needs quite fine. They are not at all destructive but they do leave one heck of a mess behind.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Ah yes, it was Saddleback. I think I've read that book.
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Return to Canadian, Australian, and Int'l Lighthouses