Trinty House Shingle Revenue

A forum to discuss lighthouses in Canada, Australia, Europe and Asia.

Postby island » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:07 am

Trinity House ran into financial difficulties early in its existence, but in 1594 the High Lord Admiral of England, Lord Howard Effingham, gave up his traditional rights to perks obtained from selling ballast to ships unloading their cargoes in the port of London. The revenue was diverted to Trinity House, which took over the responsibility for dredging shingle from the Thames and selling it to masters of ships needing ballast. The money helped the organization to begin building lighthouses that were badly needed along the east coast to protect merchant ships engaged in coal trade between Newastle and London. To maintain these lighthouses, a levy of twelve pence per ton was imposed on all ships sailing from the ports of Newcastle, Boston and King's Lynn.

source: Lighthouses. Towers of the Seas, National Trust 1992
Lt. Commissioner
Posts: 2035
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:00 am

Return to Canadian, Australian, and Int'l Lighthouses

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest