|

Lighthouse damage, Indonesia.

A forum to discuss lighthouses in Canada, Australia, Europe and Asia.

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:35 am

And, bringing the topic back to Kevin's original post .. Here are two stories regarding the Indira Point Lighthouse ... (Boldface is mine)

Indira Point falls off map
SAIBAL SEN

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ THURSDAY, DECEMBER 30, 2004 10:50:07 AM ]

Sign into earnIndiatimes points

CAMPBELL BAY: Sunday's tsunami, which "wobbled" the earth and altered Asia's map, nearly changed India's map too. Indira Point - the country's southernmost tip - has been washed out.

There is no trace of the six "international scientists" nor the 20-odd inhabitants of this 100-km sq km island on the Indian Ocean. Just 140 km from Sumatra and 51 km from "point zero" at Campbell Bay (India's Final Operating Base), it bore the full force of the tsunami. Apart from its strategic importance, Indira Point is also a favourite nesting site for exotic sea animals.

"I was there the day before the disaster struck. I know for sure there were four foreign scientists. Sixteen of my colleagues, two of whom had their families too, are not traceable," said C.S. Karum, junior engineer, department of lighthouses and lightships. Karum is now in Campbell Bay.

Campbell Bay — home to nearly 10,000 people, mostly government employees — is still reeling under the Tsunami. Only 500 people have been airlifted to Port Blair.

[India News]: Port Blair, Jan 1 : Service personnel manning the lighthouse at Indira Point, the southernmost point in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, could not be traced despite every effort to find them, Lt Gen B S Thakur, spokesman of the Integrated Relief Command said here today.

"We tried to trace them with Chetak helicopters and engaged Navy divers, but were unable to find them. We have put them into the category of the missing," he told newsmen here.

Lt Gen Thakur, however, denied reports that Indira Point in the Campbell Bay has disappeared after the tsunami.

"There is no village or any defence setup at the Indira Point. There is only a lighthouse, a helipad and a few statues. The helipad is still submerged," he said.

To a question, he was unable to say how many service personnel were posted there. PTI

Barry
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Previous

Return to Canadian, Australian, and Int'l Lighthouses