|

Are Lighthouses Still Needed Today?

A forum to discuss lighthouses in Canada, Australia, Europe and Asia.

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:43 am

We debate all the time whether in today's world of satellite positioning and sophisticated technologies whther lighthouses are obsolete in there purpose ...

This article would suggest they aren't ...

http://nation.ittefaq.com/artman/publis ... 9588.shtml
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:07 am

Interesting topic Barry but I agree with the article as I don't think lighthouses will ever become obsolete. The tower with a lantern room and internal stair will become obsolete but it will be replaced or augmented by a light on a pole of some description. Navigation aids by way of lights are still essential inspite of improved technology such as satnav, gps and gmdss simply because not all craft on the high seas is equipped with these systems and apart from that, they are not infallible either.

Yachties are notorious for putting to sea without proper safety gear such as HF and VHF radios, satellite navigation equipment etc. You would be amazed at the number of yachts that are sailing around the world for years at a time. Quite a lot of them are amateur radio operators and there are daily skeds for these people to check into and report their positions and make contact with others. I met one such couple from Florida who had been on the water for 8 years and they made the comment that a lot of yachts are amazingly poorly equipped from a safety angle.

I think lighthouses or illuminated landmarks are going to be around for quite a while mainly as an aid for the private and recreational sector such as yachts and privately owned power boats. The commercial shipping usually has all the high tech gear so their need is different.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Zachary » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:42 am

I definetly think they are needed in some form, that is why the USCG Light List is so long.
When I was in Corpus Christi I saw definite proof they are, hundreds of small channel lights, usually green or red, with numbers on them. These qualify as a navigational light I'm sure. (All though none of them compare to the Lydia lighthouse)
Zachary
Head Keeper

Return to Canadian, Australian, and Int'l Lighthouses